Article 517.30(C)(3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

asian195

Just want to make sure i am reading the article correctly. Under NEC 517.30(C)(3) Mechanical protection, it states that the Life Safety and Critical Branches must be mechanically protected.

My question, does this include all feeders and branch circuits within these systems, no matter their location in a Hospital?
for example; An Exit light at the front door in the main lobby, hooked to a life safety branch circuit, must be in EMT, sch80 pvc, or type MI cable.

I say yes, a co-worker says no. He thinks that only applies to patient care areas.

Thanks...

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Just want to make sure i am reading the article correctly. Under NEC 517.30(C)(3) Mechanical protection, it states that the Life Safety and Critical Branches must be mechanically protected.

My question, does this include all feeders and branch circuits within these systems, no matter their location in a Hospital?
for example; An Exit light at the front door in the main lobby, hooked to a life safety branch circuit, must be in EMT, sch80 pvc, or type MI cable.

I say yes, a co-worker says no. He thinks that only applies to patient care areas.

Thanks...

You are correct. To simplify the reasoning, the Life Safety Branch is for all people inside a hospital, not just patients and the last sentence in 517.30(C)(3)(1) and (2) reiterates this. By making it clear that patient care areas must comply with 517.13 it also makes it clear that all areas must be mechanically protected as well.

Roger

asian195

Thanks. He feels that the sentence that speaks about patient care complying with 517.13 is why it only pertains to those areas.
I tried to explain that it is saying that those circuits in those areas not only require protection but also redundant grounding.

Thanks again.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

asian195

One last question, a life safety or critical feeder, fed underground from the ATS to sub panel, must be sch80 not 40. Unless encased in concrete. Correct?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
One last question, a life safety or critical feeder, fed underground from the ATS to sub panel, must be sch80 not 40. Unless encased in concrete. Correct?

Correct.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.