Article 334-12A

Status
Not open for further replies.

ce1mattapoisett

I am running romex in a one story commercial Steel building with 4 small offices wood framed
and stapling on the bottom of the joists running across the joists I am doing this above a drop ceiling. Is this ok or does it violate 334-12A which states cable shall not be used as open run in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one or two family dwellings.

nvcape

Re: Article 334-12A

If you are under 2002 NEC, the handbook explains that above acessible ceilings that it remains accessible after construction and is not permitted. If above dropped sheet rock, then it is not considered accessible.

peter d

Are you from Mattapoisett, Massachusetts by any chance? I would suggest you check the Mass. Electric Code, which I believe has ammended that article.
Bob (iwire) or Electricmanscott can give you a better answer but I think Mass. is one of the few, if not the only, state(s) that allows what you describe.

electricmanscott

From Mass Electrical Code: 334.12(1) Revise to read as follows: In dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one and two family and multifamily dwellings, unless run so as to closely follow the surface of framing members, running boards, or the equivalent, or unless connected to luminaires in accordance with 334.30(B)(2)."
So if you are in Mass you sound ok. Otherwise I think you are out of luck. Thanks NEC for that one. :roll:

electricmanscott

Taking this further. We still don't know where you are but if in Mass the dropped ceiling issue seems to be ok. The other issue which I think nvcape is refering to would be stapling accross the bottom of joists. If you are going at an angle to the joist I think you would need running boards or drill the joists, unless you closely follow the joist, running up the side, accross the underside of the roof and down the other joist. Inside of a dropped ceiling appears to be considered "Exposed" according to the NEC definition. Anybody else agree or disagree?

ken44

Article 334 Uses NOT permited for NM cable (also known as romex)
Article 334.12(A)
1. As open runs in dropped or suspended ceilings in other than one and two family and multi-family dwellings.

"Romex cable is NOT permitted for use in any COMMERCIAL building"; unless it falls into one of the categorys listed; one, two or multi-family dwellings.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ken,
"Romex cable is NOT permitted for use in any COMMERCIAL building"; unless it falls into one of the categorys listed; one, two or multi-family dwellings.
romex (NM) can be used in almost any commercial building, just not in the prohibited areas, ie; drop ceilings.

Roger

ryan_618

Originally posted by ken44:

What???

Have you read the "Uses permitted" section?

ken44

Fogive the poor wording in my previous post. However I have been working in over 40 commercial buildings for a period over 20 years and the first thing I was taught is that romex is not allowed for use in commercial buildings. I have not found romex in any of them to this day, so if it is allowed, then why is every contractor who works in these buildings paying alot more money for an electrical installation than they are required to? I suppose it could be due to contract wording, however, then why would the end-user want to pay more than they are required to?

Status
Not open for further replies.