Article 250.6 Objectionable Current

Status
Not open for further replies.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
Re: Article 250.6 Objectionable Current

The intent is to make sure that the ground path (i.e., the green or bare wire, the conduit, metal cases, and equipment enclosures) do not carry current except when a ground fault is present. In that event, they carry large amounts of current back to the source, so that the circuit breaker can trip and terminate the event.

The phrase ?objectionable current? is not defined. However, it may be presumed that if there is a continuous current flowing through a ground path, and if the current is high enough to be felt by a person touching a metal conduit, case, or enclosure, that person would find it objectionable. :eek:

hurk27

By Charlie: and if the current is high enough to be felt by a person touching a metal conduit, case, or enclosure, that person would find it objectionable.
If it is high enough the person might not complain at all, or should I say might not be able too complain. :eek: :eek:

bphgravity

In my opinion, objection current is any current that flows over grounded paths that can be easily or readily removed by an alteration to the grounding systems as permitted in Section 250.6(B). I don't think there should have to be a quantified amount. If current is measured on the grounding system, and a simple alteration can be made to stop the current, that current is objectionable. It doesn't necessarily need to be dangerous or not dangerous.

physis

I'm not being sarcastic, although this might be a good opertunity, but does that mean if it's hard to remove the current isn't objectionable?

That seems too convienient to me.

I don't have the experience with grounding systems some of you guys have. I'm wondering what kind of current you would except as typical. I'm thinking there shouldn't be any.

hurk27

I would think that common mode current between two service's that also have a connected water pipe would not be objectionable current. It would be easily to remove this current with a dielectric fitting installed but then the requirements of the service GE would change also. But there should not be any objectionable current inside of a building if the installation of the electrical circuits were done to the NEC requirements.

[ November 28, 2004, 02:45 AM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

Status
Not open for further replies.