Article 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

If I want a definition to be added to article 100 would I just make a proposal for a word? And would I need a separate proposal for each definition? Cause article 100 would weigh a pound and a half if I had my way. :D

Does CMP 1 turn down a lot of definition proposals? They sure seem to keep 100 small.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Article 100

Originally posted by physis:
Does CMP 1 turn down a lot of definition proposals? They sure seem to keep 100 small.
laughabove.gif

roflol.gif
roflol.gif
roflol.gif

I think there is a better chance of a LA jury convicting a celebrity than any of us getting a definition in article 100.

physis

Maybe CMP 1 and CMP 5 should trade articles every cycle. :D

Edit: So I guess when the guys are sittin' around bragging about their accepted code proposals the guy with a 100 definition wins?

Yeah, sniff, I got "Energized" put in. :D

[ July 18, 2005, 05:28 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

charlie

I think I have said this before but it bears repeating. When I look at a proposal, I try to find a good reason to reject it out of hand and prepare a panel statement for the rejection. Finding no reason to reject it, I will support it or maybe a portion of it. I think most panel members do the same thing. If we didn't do it that way, the Code would be larger than the NY telephone books. :D

physis

I'm glad you posted that Charlie because that's probably how I would do it myself and I wasn't really thinking that way about proposals.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer

From the NEC Manual of Style

2.2.2.1 Article 100. In general, Article 100 shall contain definitions of terms that appear in two or more other articles of the NEC.
Basically, in order for a definition to be added to Article 100, the Proposal should list ALL of the Sections/Subsection where it would apply and confirm the definition would not alter the meaning of any of them (unless that is the intent of course.)

Several times, I have submitted a definition of ?Engineering Supervision? to essentially mean by or under the control of a Professional Engineer. So far, CMP1 is happy for it to simply mean ?somebody with a calculator.? That?s one of the reasons, more and more proposals specify a PE.

physis

Basically, in order for a definition to be added to Article 100, the Proposal should list ALL of the Sections/Subsection where it would apply and confirm the definition would not alter the meaning of any of them
Yeah, It would be a good sized job. I've consirded that but not that I'd have to do all the work. The advent of the CD should make that a lot easier than it would have been before.

Status
Not open for further replies.