Are yoy paying

Status
Not open for further replies.

southernboys

Hey guys just wondering what percentage of guys are getting paid for the 4th. Im not no big deal 10 hour days help out

mdshunk

Re: Are yoy paying

Emergencies have typically been double time on holidays, plus the regular holiday pay. So, a man that works a holiday for me is essentially getting triple time if you count the holiday pay. I don't schedule regular production on a holiday if at all humanly possible. Just emergency service calls.

jwelectric

Originally posted by mdshunk:
Emergencies have typically been double time on holidays, plus the regular holiday pay. So, a man that works a holiday for me is essentially getting triple time if you count the holiday pay. I don't schedule regular production on a holiday if at all humanly possible. Just emergency service calls.
Are you hiring?

southernboys

Its not normal in my area shunk. The big three companys around here dont pay vacation to any of there employees including 20 year vets. Its a shame but hey you get used to getting screwed

southernboys

more than likely youre right havent seen them make a stand here in 10 years. Just not the right area for them. I guess in a small way its too bad but then again not really

celtic

I think I know what the difference is, but if I say this post will get deleted.
I know what you are saying.

stud696981

Most reputable contractors don't work their employees on holidays unless it's an emergency job. In that case they are getting paid top dollar for the emergency and so should their employee.

If it's a job that is behind schedule and they want their people to work then they need to pay the top dollar wage for that day.

I know that there are some contractors that just don't care about their people, I even know of one that had their people come in on Christmas day for standard pay.

stud696981

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I know what the difference is, but if I say this post will get deleted.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yea I know the difference too!!!

dillon3c

I was a working electrician for a larger Electrical Contractor many years ago in Raleigh,N.Carolina that had this same system.It was of the commercial/industrial construction arena.The men were happy to have such an offer,and Owner attracted some fine field electricians in process.

I had never heard of any other contractor, offering the such back then,or even today before reading your post.

[ July 02, 2005, 11:38 PM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

charlie

I don't get anything extra if I work on a holiday (that is the bad thing about being on salary). The hourly people get 2? times their regular pay which is actually 1? times when you consider they get paid for the holiday any way. It comes out nice if the work is outside of their normal working hours and the 2? times rate continues. :D

patrick

Wow!!!20 year vet and no pay for fourth of July.Whats this company called Wall Mart Electric!!I can understand a small company thats struggling but if the company is big and making money thats a slap in the face.I am a small Ec and I payed my two guys for the holiday.What's going on in the southern part of the country?You guys put up with that?Do you guys make money for your boss?

luckyshadow

It is standard here to have paid holidays and vacation time. The only trades in this area that have no benefits are the masons and concrete men.
Even the small struggling EC finds a way to pay his/her workers.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

Originally posted by southernboys:
Its not normal in my area shunk. The big three companys around here dont pay vacation to any of there employees including 20 year vets. Its a shame but hey you get used to getting screwed
maybe their employees prefer it that way. you have to look at the total compensation picture. construction workers often end up with a few unexpected weeks off here and there anyway. maybe they prefer a little higher base rate over "paid" vacations since they tend to get unpaid ones anyway.

2 weeks of paid vacation is equivilant to 4% of one's base pay.

if i were a construction worker, I might well go for the higher base rate.

shocker3218

I get paid for the holiday (I am past my 6 month waiting period) however the 8 hours of holiday pay do not count towards any overtime for the week. I am on a job that is understaffed, and we are working OT to make up for it. I will only get OT pat after I have worked 40 hours.

If I work the holiday, it is for straight pay (plus the holiday pay if you want to count that)

tshea

...however the 8 hours of holiday pay do not count towards any overtime for the week. ...I will only get OT pat after I have worked 40 hours.
That's a norm. Nothing wrong with it. Key word there is worked.
If I work the holiday, it is for straight pay (plus the holiday pay if you want to count that)
You better count the holiday pay!

This is the problem wioth some American workers...you want the pay and bennies but production suffers!

I'm not picking on you or anyone else here. I've seen this in other trades. The owner is busting his hump trying to make a buck while the employee(s) are finding ways to lose that buck. Here's a couple examples: Company truck goes into shop for "funny noise". Personal car would not.
Company truck does not get oil changed regularly, even when paid to do so! Engine blows up, cost of new truck. Late starts, early finishes--hence GPS on phones! I could go on.
Yeah there is the trust. It seems as though the employer is forced to trust the employee while some employees take advantage of the employer.

I pay my electricians 1 week vacation, 6 holidays, and have not laid anyone off for over 5 years! No surprize vacations! Any after hours callout is DT. Customer pays DT, so electrician gets DT!

shocker3218

I am not whining or complaining. I give a lot to my company. A lot of times it is faster and easier to use my own personal tools rather that trying to get what I need from them. When I turned in a company cell phone after 6 months of use, it still had the protective plastic over the display. But when I ask for a grease gun for their trencher, and get nothing, or I do a 1.2 million dollar job with a 12 percent profit, I would expect to get a little back. Like the bonus program they promised us nearly 8 months ago.

I have my own remedy, when I have $150K in signed contracts, I will go my own way. Until then, I will continue to do what I have always done, an honest days work for an honest days check.

Status
Not open for further replies.