Are there typically code requirement for the amount of switches for a light fixture?

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
I am planning a kitchen remodel that will loose the typical wall and add a island. Most electrical can be handled from underneath in basement ceiling.

I have a fireplace kind of in the middle of the row house. It came with two ceiling recessed lights. There are three switches.I typically use only one.
Switches:
1.) coming up from ground floor by stairs (makes sense)
2.) In the rear by another stair going up
3.) by patio door.

I am thinking about loosing the patio door switch. I never used it.

My question: are there any typical codes (electrical, building) dictating the amount of switches?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Here is the code section

210.70 Lighting Outlets Required.

Lighting outlets shall be installed where specified in 210.70(A), (B), and (C).
(A) Dwelling Units.

In dwelling units, lighting outlets shall be installed in accordance with 210.70(A)(1), (A)(2), and (A)(3).
(1) Habitable Rooms.

At least one lighting outlet controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be installed in every habitable room, kitchen, and bathroom. The wall-mounted control device shall be located near an entrance to the room on a wall.
Exception No. 1:
In other than kitchens and bathrooms, one or more receptacles controlled by a listed wall-mounted control device shall be permitted in lieu of lighting outlets.
Exception No. 2:
Lighting outlets shall be permitted to be controlled by occupancy sensors that are (1) in addition to listed wall-mounted control devices or (2) located at a customary wall switch location and equipped with a manual override that will allow the sensor to function as a wall switch.

pfus

Occupation
Elect. Engineer
With the new kitchen I end up with a big room, living room with kitchen. I figured that if I change the switch by the patio door to a 3-way with other kitchen light switch one still woudl get light in the space when entering from the deck if desired.