Arc shield on fused disconnect

Cliffs

Occupation
Engineer
Hi - I used a 2 pole general duty AC fused disconnect (https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-60-A...-General-Duty-Safety-Switch-TG3222R/202978654) on a solar install and was failed for not having an arc shield. As far as i can tell, an arc shield is not sold for this AC fused disconnect.

Does anyone know the code section that requires this for a PV install which uses line side taps? I understand why this is desirable (make line side of fused disconnect touch safe when box is opened) - I'm just looking for the actual reference. It seems odd that this product would even be sold without this arc shield - since the line side of a fused disconnect is always live.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Arc chute requirements are part of the UL standards. They are not common on many 240V general purpose disconnects. For example, I cannot think of any pull out style disconnect with them.

Cliffs

Occupation
Engineer
Not an arc chute, and arc shield (at least that is what GE calls it). It's just a plastic cover that makes the line side of the AC disconnect touch safe. GE has them on their heavy duty disconnects, but not general duty.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The 2023 code clarifies that the disconnect for a line side tap is a service disconnect. 230.62(C) applies and requires barriers for the line side terminations and any line side busbar.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Not an arc chute, and arc shield (at least that is what GE calls it). It's just a plastic cover that makes the line side of the AC disconnect touch safe. GE has them on their heavy duty disconnects, but not general duty.
There is no general NEC requirement for 'finger safe' terminals in non-service entrance equipment.

Features like this are often some of the differentiators between General Purpose and Heavy Duty devices.

Last edited:

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Why didn't you use a fused disconnect?
The model he posted is fusible.

It is not clear to me if the model he used is suitable for use as servoce equipment. Perhaps it is not. (I can't recall seeing a fused 60A that wasn't, but I've never used GE discos.) Perhaps it's also an older model that hasn't been updated with the guards Don talks about.

kwired

Electron manager
The model he posted is fusible.

It is not clear to me if the model he used is suitable for use as servoce equipment. Perhaps it is not. (I can't recall seeing a fused 60A that wasn't, but I've never used GE discos.) Perhaps it's also an older model that hasn't been updated with the guards Don talks about.
Can't speak for GE but I know some Square D are not SUSE unless the S/N terminal is provided which can be optional for certain ones.

We need clarification as to whether the OP maybe was rejected over not having a line barrier vs not having SUSE. Line barrier can be an add on component with some items but is included with others.