arc flash suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
I am looking to purchase a arc flash suit.

Any recommendation, Dos and Don'ts will be appreciated.

I usually don't work on large energized switch gears but do want to have a suit just in case I may need one.

Thanks

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am looking to purchase a arc flash suit.

Any recommendation, Dos and Don'ts will be appreciated.

I usually don't work on large energized switch gears but do want to have a suit just in case I may need one.

Thanks

keep in mind that for the most part you can't work on live equipment even with an arc flash suit.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Arc Fawlks

Arc Fawlks

all 70E Boulderdash, Guffaw, Poppycock aside ....

That somehow so many are convinced that one is perfectly safe energizing AIC the caliber of a stick of dynamite is serious false security

Of course, these will most likely be the same posters who dismiss 230.95(C) as some foreign intrusion , further alienating them via questioning their credentials (from a Mod here that insisted that does not occur as rule btw)

I own a complete suit btw, that and a dime might get me a cup o' Joe should i be fragged....:(

cheers....

IMG_0130.jpg

~RJ~

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
keep in mind that for the most part you can't work on live equipment even with an arc flash suit.

I know that.

It is for rare occasions. For example the main feeder breaker to a commercial tenant has to get changed and the power can not be shut off, or there is no main shut off.

or the main 1200Amp main switch has tripped because the 20Amp branch circuit breaker did not act fast enough to clear the fault.

peter d

It's been said many times before, but using PPE to do live work in high fault current situations will make the difference between an open casket and a closed one.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Then what is the purpose of the arc flash suit if you can not work it energized??

Why do they even sell the suits?

I am sure they are situations that you have to work it energized.

iwire

Staff member
Then what is the purpose of the arc flash suit if you can not work it energized??

Troubleshooting that must be done live or when shutting down is more hazardous than working live

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

they make suits up to 100 calorie, i believe.

the fellow who gave me my arc flash training explained that 40 calorie
is the practical limit of need, as the arc blast beyond 40 cal in your face,
the concussion will rupture internal organs and simply kill you.

so, i have a 40 cal suit. trying to function and breathe in a 100 cal suit
is more than i'd like to deal with. 40 cal is bad enough.

so why have one? i'll let others debate that. i'm a sole proprietor, and
can do things personally that if i directed an employee to do, would be
a severe fine at best, and manslaughter at worst.

as far as working stuff hot, i have a thread on here from a number of
years ago, where i probably should have died, and didn't. i don't do
stuff hot, but if i need to do something where there is the slightest
chance of something going sideways, i put on the suit.

opening and closing really old breakers, or ones that haven't been cycled
in god knows how long..... doing load tests on equipment, etc. there is
stuff we do, NFPA 70E noted and acknowledged, where there is a hazard.

big john

The right answer is that you should have several levels of PPE that allow you to work most comfortably while still being adequately protected: E.g. at 15cal of incident energy, I would much rather wear a long-sleeve AR shirt and face-shield as opposed to the full 40cal moon-suit.

That said, very often there has been no flash hazard analysis performed and folks are basically guessing at how dangerous equipment may be. So you want the best protection you can buy:

1) Get a 40cal suit that is the full-length coat-style. This is much easier to put on than the jacket-and-pants and also lot more comfortable.
2) Get a hood with a built in blower. The face plate will fog up otherwise making it impossible to see.
3) If you only work with 480V max, get properly sized class 00 500V gloves and leathers. These will give you the best possible dexterity.

The goal is to make this stuff as easy to use as possible so that you do use it when needed. If you cheap out on it and hate wearing it, then you won't, and that is money wasted and extra risk incurred.

Also it has to be said: I see a lot of "DANGEROUS" labels on 480V gear where no PPE exists that will keep you safe. You can still be killed while wearing a complete 40cal suit in the wrong circumstances.

Last edited:

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
The right answer is that you should have several levels of PPE that allow you to work most comfortably while still being adequately protected: E.g. at 15cal of incident energy, I would much rather wear a long-sleeve AR shirt and face-shield as opposed to the full 40cal moon-suit.

That said, very often there has been no flash hazard analysis performed and folks are basically guessing at how dangerous equipment may be. So you want the best protection you can buy:

1) Get a 40cal suit that is the full-length coat-style. This is much easier to put on than the jacket-and-pants and also lot more comfortable.
2) Get a hood with a built in blower. The face plate will fog up otherwise making it impossible to see.
3) If you only work with 480V max, get properly sized class 00 500V gloves and leathers. These will give you the best possible dexterity.

The goal is to make this stuff as easy to use as possible so that you do use it when needed. If you cheap out on it and hate wearing it, then you won't, and that is money wasted and extra risk incurred.

Also it has to be said: I see a lot of "DANGEROUS" labels on 480V gear where no PPE exists that will keep you safe. You can still be killed while wearing a complete 40cal suit in the wrong circumstances.

I would not want just the full length coat as the blast could blow up and under the coat.

10-4 on the blower as in addition to the fogging issue the oxygen starts depleting especially after 3 mins.

I would get Class 0 gloves as the utilities can run up to 5% hot so you would be over, albeit a small amount, the 500V limit on the gloves.

big john

I would not want just the full length coat as the blast could blow up and under the coat...
I don't know how that PPE is certified, but I have to assume that is a consideration addressed during design and testing: Arc-resistant gear that still allowed you to be burned obviously wouldn't have much value.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Few isolative measures are mandated here vs. sane countries.

We also have a safety cabal that will forever and a day make a $$$ on our burnt corpses

( Mr Joe T having actually posted my fried brethren in the past to grease his ride btw)

those of us with a broader overview might piece it together

sans that, welcome to capitalist electrical contracting

do ya feel lucky ?

well do ya....?

~RJ~

zog

I don't know how that PPE is certified, but I have to assume that is a consideration addressed during design and testing: Arc-resistant gear that still allowed you to be burned obviously wouldn't have much value.

I believe a change was made in the 2010 rev to not allow full length coat style flash suits.

A no fog cloth works well in the hoods, you can buy them at any sporting goods store that sells ski equipment.

My best tip for the OP is to invest the extra 10% or so for a multiple layered suit, much lighter and cooler than the single layer ones.

I know at my employer we wear an Arc Flash suit to verify voltage is not present on our 480V Bussway and inside electrical cabinets. After verified we remove the suit and complete the work.

We do have a 100 Cal suit but only the master electrician wears it.

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
Any one manufacturer over another?

Seton, Salisbury, Macron safety, chicago protective???

I have seen Salisbury advertisement and they seem to be one of the big players in the arc flash safety business.

Status
Not open for further replies.