Arc Flash Reduction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeffrey T

I have numerous projects installing emergency backup generators at supermarkets n the northeast. Packages are typically 1,000KW and includes a main 1600A breaker and other smaller breakers all feeding ATS's. The specification indicates that the main breaker should have provisions for ARMS system which it does, however the Engineer has indicated that the main breaker must be fully ARMS ready including a RIM device to make the Arc flash fully operations.

Here is the question - since this is a standby system, doe code require that these breakers be furnished with any reduction system since the unit would never energize while any maintenance was being as the estop would due activated?

iwire

Staff member
I have numerous projects installing emergency backup generators at supermarkets n the northeast.

since this is a standby system,

Are they article 700 emergency or article 702 optional standby or combination of both?

I can't answer your question but I do know that emergency systems have much different rules than optional systems, particularly in MA if you are doing some here.

ron

Is the NEC 2014 adopted in the jurisdiction?

Do you need to comply with 240.87 Arc Energy Reduction
Where the highest continuous current trip setting for which the actual overcurrent device installed in a circuit breaker is rated or can be adjusted is 1200 A or higher, 240.87(A) and (B) shall apply.

Status
Not open for further replies.