arc fault for washer/dryer in new room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

howardrichman

Just wired a conservatory room on an existing beach house. Customer is installing a stackable washer /dryer in new room. Will that line for that outlet have to be AFCI. If the outlet was in a separate room, it would be classified a laundry room, and probably not be required. If so; could I run a 3 wire feed to that room for the outlets and the appliance line, and install AFCI outlets w/o using MC or conduit to the 1st device?

HR...

jxofaltrds

Inspector Mike®
Occupation
ESI, PI, RBO
Just wired a conservatory room on an existing beach house. Customer is installing a stackable washer /dryer in new room. Will that line for that outlet have to be AFCI. If the outlet was in a separate room, it would be classified a laundry room, and probably not be required. If so; could I run a 3 wire feed to that room for the outlets and the appliance line, and install AFCI outlets w/o using MC or conduit to the 1st device?

HR...

Laundry areas added in the 2014 NEC.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Wait a minute.

2011 NEC: check. New Jersey: check. "Conservatory room": check. New Laundry Circuit in Conservatory room: check.

"Conservatory" room is not included in the 2011 NEC 210.12(A) list of named rooms / areas. However, if your local electrical inspector will require AFCI because the room is a "similar room" and s/he won't allow it to be a "laundry area and a conservatory area" as two different parts of one room, then, in my opinion, the laundry circuit will have to be AFCI protected by an AFCI breaker or by an OBC AFCI device at the "first Outlet". 2011 NEC 210.12(A) Exception No. 1 does not allow the use of NMB.

Your wording seems to imply your inspector has said "AFCI required". No?

cowboyjwc

Staff member
Wait a minute.

2011 NEC: check. New Jersey: check. "Conservatory room": check. New Laundry Circuit in Conservatory room: check.

"Conservatory" room is not included in the 2011 NEC 210.12(A) list of named rooms / areas. However, if your local electrical inspector will require AFCI because the room is a "similar room" and s/he won't allow it to be a "laundry area and a conservatory area" as two different parts of one room, then, in my opinion, the laundry circuit will have to be AFCI protected by an AFCI breaker or by an OBC AFCI device at the "first Outlet". 2011 NEC 210.12(A) Exception No. 1 does not allow the use of NMB.

Your wording seems to imply your inspector has said "AFCI required". No?
You could be right, but the inspector could be wrong too. Always remember we are simply answering the question asked. I didn't see any pictures or plans so while even the rest of the room may need afci, I'm pretty sure that the area for the washer and dryer (water hook ups, gas?, dryer vent) couldn't be used for anything else or maybe it's in a closet. That word "areas" is very open to interpretation.

Status
Not open for further replies.