Arc fault circuit breakers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you share the neutral wire on a 3-wire home-run protected by 2 separate arc fault circuit breakers for two bedroom circuits? Might this cause nuisance tripping?

bark

Re: Arc fault circuit breakers

I'm having trouble with a arc fault breaker. After checking the entire circuit, it still trips like a dead short. All grounds are separated from the nuetrals in all of the devices. I've managed to keep the circuit energized until it gets to the tail end where some keyless pullchain fixtures are. If I turn those fixtures on the breaker trips as if it were a dead short. Also, will a dimmer switch trip a arc fault? Thanks

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

You took the grounding clip out of the box on the keylesses, right? :D

Bad bulbs can do it.

As for dimmers, they could, but I haven't dealt with that problem myself.

luke warmwater

Originally posted by georgestolz:
...And I bet you it costs twice as much as two arc fault breakers? (Honest question.) :)
Commonly I would say 'yes'.

Depending on who you are and where you buy them, the 2-pole could be less or more than twice as much as (2) single poles. :D

active1

A 2 pole ark fault seems like a great idea but may be a nightmare if you have nuisance tripping.

"Can you share the neutral wire on a 3-wire home-run protected by 2 separate arc fault circuit breakers for two bedroom circuits? Might this cause nuisance tripping? "

I would not call it nuisance tripping. It would be more instant tripping (once there is any load on the circuits).

Tom

massivek

Is there a solution if you would like to install these in an exsiting residence with a 3-wire home run? thanks

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

There are very few choices for two pole AFCIs. If the installed panel is of different manufacture, a subpanel will have to be installed and the multiwire homerun that one wants to protect will have to be routed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.