APT COMPLEX WITH 768 ZINSCO PANEL . $$$$$

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuartdmc

The application of the Eaton’s retrofit panels are not UL listed!!

The application of the Eaton’s retrofit panels are not UL listed!!

Siemens will give a lifetime warranty on their copper buss residential load centers. Gee I wonder why!

Eaton has a great retrofit panel for these conditions. Therefor the breakers, the busing and cover are all UL listed they don't UL the application of the retrofit! What in the world! What good is it then?
Does anyone know how I can resolve this issues? Do I have to call a third party to certify all retrofits?
Does anyone know of another manufacturer that offers a retrofit application?

I have to make a decision on what fix there is by the end of the month, I can use your help.

Shawn pavich

We're does it say in the NEC if you do a service change you need to add afci breakers I do about 2 a week (solar) never got called on afci I only put them in if the old panel had them in some cases are most cases it would be impossible do to a lot af 12-3 and 14-3 wire.before AFCI came out that's all we ran 12-3 14/3 if someone can tell me were it says that in the nec if the homeowner adds a addition and that living space requires a afci then I have put a afci to protect that living space

peter d

We're does it say in the NEC if you do a service change you need to add afci breakers I do about 2 a week (solar) never got called on afci I only put them in if the old panel had them in some cases are most cases it would be impossible do to a lot af 12-3 and 14-3 wire.before AFCI came out that's all we ran 12-3 14/3 if someone can tell me were it says that in the nec if the homeowner adds a addition and that living space requires a afci then I have put a afci to protect that living space

AFCI is not required for a service change per the NEC 2011. It is required under the 2014 if the panelboard is relocated more than 6 feet away from its original location.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
...they don't UL the application of the retrofit! What in the world! What good is it then?
I don't believe field applications can't be UL listed, nor required as such. ETL's can only list/test equipment under anticipated environments "certified for use" or per installation instructions by MFG.

Eaton retrofits are not available for the smaller enclosures, and installing them in such violates the retrofit listing. Field authority belongs to your AHJ. If yours is giving you trouble I suggest calling Scott Davis, Senior Planner, City Of Santa Ana, CA

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
AFCI is not required for a service change per the NEC 2011. It is required under the 2014 if the panelboard is relocated more than 6 feet away from its original location.

I suppose that depends on who reads the language of the 2013 CEC.

brycenesbitt

Here are some photos of the heat test.

Questions for the original poster: what level of current are the apartments drawing during the tests?
Was a clamp meter placed on the feeds during the test?
What happens if an apartment is maxed out (stove/AC/vacuum cleaner)?
If the heat test shows the incoming leads as hot, how does that implicate the panel? Are the incoming leads appropriately sized?

Are there any cases where a heat test identified a given breaker, and if so what happens if the breakers are taken out, the rails cleaned, and the breaker reinserted?

Status
Not open for further replies.