Approved GEC Bonding Method

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allied

I was reviewing some work at a project and noticed how the the GEC was bonded to the water main. I thought it was an awkward method as I've never seen it done this way before. A twin lug was secured to a typical ground clamp. Is this a code compliant installation? I think a ground clamp listed for the 2/0 GEC should have been used. What are your thoughts? See photo.

Attachments

• 20140925_102026.jpg
    20140925_102026.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 6

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
See it far more than I like to. hate it as any movement of the wire tends to loosen the connection but I reluctantly accept it.
There are water pipe clamps on the market that will accommodate a larger wire and do a far better job in doing so (such as Blackburn AJ2). I encourage the use of such clamps and have "converted" several electricians over the years.

AJ.jpg

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
See it far more than I like to. hate it as any movement of the wire tends to loosen the connection but I reluctantly accept it.
There are water pipe clamps on the market that will accommodate a larger wire and do a far better job in doing so (such as Blackburn AJ2). I encourage the use of such clamps and have "converted" several electricians over the years.

View attachment 11055

I agree it is nicer.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
I see it often and I don't see any issue with it.
No irreversible bond between the two fittings?
You are allowed one connector, not two in series, since neither one directly bridges from the wire to the pipe/electrode?
If this is a GEC it fails. If this is a bond, it is OK.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I guess the green tape is supposed to keep you from looking at the poor job that was done. Did the use any staples on the grounding electrode conductor?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
You will need to show me that rule. :)
Simple enough, but without section citations:
A grounding pipe clamp is listed for attaching a GEC to a pipe, not for attaching a lug attached to a GEC to a pipe.
I would guess that since the pipe clamp used does not have a place to attach a wire directly it is not in fact a listed or recognized ground clamp under NEC.
If the pipe clamp does have a wire connection point and you do not use it you are violating the installation instructions.

iwire

Staff member
Simple enough, but without section citations:
A grounding pipe clamp is listed for attaching a GEC to a pipe, not for attaching a lug attached to a GEC to a pipe.
I would guess that since the pipe clamp used does not have a place to attach a wire directly it is not in fact a listed or recognized ground clamp under NEC.
If the pipe clamp does have a wire connection point and you do not use it you are violating the installation instructions.

Well seeing as you can't provide a code section and this is a common method in my area and seemingly other areas as well we will have to remain in disagreement.

The only problem I see is what Gus pointed out about the fact it can loosen if disturbed. But the same can be (and has been) said about the common acorn connection to a ground rod

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Well seeing as you can't provide a code section and this is a common method in my area and seemingly other areas as well we will have to remain in disagreement.

The only problem I see is what Gus pointed out about the fact it can loosen if disturbed. But the same can be (and has been) said about the common acorn connection to a ground rod
And my reply to that is that the acorn connector is listed/identified AND it captures the wire directly. So there is just one assembly that links the two components.

As for the inspectors generally accepting it, that is a great convenience for those who work in those areas, I am sure. But the real world has no backward influence on the NEC. :)

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And my reply to that is that the acorn connector is listed/identified AND it captures the wire directly. So there is just one assembly that links the two components.

As for the inspectors generally accepting it, that is a great convenience for those who work in those areas, I am sure. But the real world has no backward influence on the NEC. :)
Here's the pertinent Code...

250.70 Methods of Grounding and Bonding Conductor
Connection to Electrodes. The grounding or bonding conductor
shall be connected to the grounding electrode by
exothermic welding, listed lugs, listed pressure connectors,
listed clamps, or other listed means. Connections depending
on solder shall not be used. Ground clamps shall be
listed for the materials of the grounding electrode and the
grounding electrode conductor and, where used on pipe,
rod, or other buried electrodes, shall also be listed for direct
soil burial or concrete encasement. Not more than one conductor
shall be connected to the grounding electrode by a
single clamp or fitting unless the clamp or fitting is listed
for multiple conductors. One of the following methods
shall be used:

(1) A pipe fitting, pipe plug, or other approved device
screwed into a pipe or pipe fitting

(2) A listed bolted clamp of cast bronze or brass, or plain
or malleable iron

(3) For indoor communications purposes only, a listed sheet
metal strap-type ground clamp having a rigid metal base
that seats on the electrode and having a strap of such
material and dimensions that it is not likely to stretch
during or after installation

(4) An equally substantial approved means

RICK NAPIER

Here we see that as a violation of 110.3 and 250.70. There is not much surface contact to that lug or any certainty that it will hold. When dealing with a grounding electrode you wants to be sure it will hold up to its intended purpose.

If the wire went to the other side of the meter first that would be OK, I see that as a splice in the GEC. The only reason or for going around the meter is to bond interior metal water, it's not part of the electrode. I also agree its a violation of 110.3.

iwire

Staff member
Here we see that as a violation of 110.3 and 250.70. There is not much surface contact to that lug or any certainty that it will hold. When dealing with a grounding electrode you wants to be sure it will hold up to its intended purpose.

Where did you find out the 'required contact area'?

iwire

Staff member
If the wire went to the other side of the meter first that would be OK, I see that as a splice in the GEC. The only reason or for going around the meter is to bond interior metal water, it's not part of the electrode. I also agree its a violation of 110.3.

The electrode extends 5' in regardless of the meter position.

I respectfully disagree. The electrode does not extend 5' from grade, the electrode is underground, however the first 5' entering the structure can be used as a conductor to attach to the electrode. I do agree that meter position does not matter. Question, if we were to just attach on the supply the side of the meter then there would be no need to bond around it, correct? My understanding is that it's always bonded round anyways because that is the easiest spot for bonding the interior metal water pipes.

electricalist

When weg get into o size gec its hard to find the clamp that fits a 4 or 6 " water pipe and the gec termination point be any bigger than awg 1 or 2. I may be mistaken by memory , but I think we put the bolt for tightining the clamp through the lug then through the clamp with lock washer and nut .. on the clamp side that doesnt open. When the crimp tool is there . I have seen it crimped down to 100 a wire size. Although from what is being posted gec s cant be connector to connector.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.