Apprentices under master

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
How many apprentices are allowed under a licensed electrician per job site

One or none, or twenty. ;)

What I am getting at is those types of rules are made locally and / or per contract agreements.

Here in MA it can only be one apprentice per licensed journeyman.

liquidtite

Union shop

Union shop

The only time that really comes into play is in the local union shops.
In open shops you could have as many apprentices to journeymen as the owner wants on a job.

jimdavis

In open shops you could have as many apprentices to journeymen as the owner wants on a job.

That's not true and if it were, it would make for some poorly trained apprentices. That's why many states have laws regarding apprentice/journeyman ratios. Here in UT we are allowed 3 apprentices per journeyman for residential work but for commercial and industrial projects the ratio is one to one.

RICK NAPIER

In NJ you need one licensed journeyman or licensed contractor for "Every 10 employees who are performing electrical work"

darekelec

In NYC there must be at least 1 master electrician in one licensed electrical corporation. There are no other Journeymen or helper cards or tests or licenses.
There are a lot, if not most, non licensed electrical companies that have electrical permits pulled by master electrician from other corporation in exchange for cash. Employees of such companies cannot apply to become licensed.
In my previous electrical corporation (12 employees), licensed electrician spent all year on fishing boat and 'rented' his master license to my boss. I saw the master once a year on x-mas party.
In my current corporation (8 employees) my boss is licensed and he is 86 yo so he doesn't visit job sites. I speak with him on the phone and see him once a year on x-mas party.
It is really weird around here but I wanna get my license in the future and come to work only on x-mas party.
I guess the reason why knowledge about NEC is so low here is because licensed electrician comes to work once year.... on party. So if it wasn't for this forum I would not be able to have a knowledgeable discussion about work.

Status
Not open for further replies.