Any recommended Control Relay for IEEE 1547 (+) / UL 1741 (+)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Depends on the pay and the day
I follow most Grid Inverters are already compliant for themselves -- but looking at doing site mix(es) . . .

Looking for a single Control Relay (tied to contactor) for Utility Grid Tie-in for the whole downstream Micro-Grid-Mix.

SEL used to make this : https://selinc.com/products/547/

Which it says is now discontinued?

and says -- "SEL recommends selecting the SEL-751 Feeder Protection Relay or the SEL-849 Motor Management Relay in place of the SEL-547."

But those do not have the purdy little label saying "Distributed Generator Interconnection Relay" which will win over the Utility Side Engineer (who must be pleased and approve). Any GE, Schneider, Basler, etc. that anyone knows of?

Backgrounder(s) for folks who are interested:

THANKS!

pv_n00b

Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Typically utility engineers are going to be really savvy so they don't need to see the Distributed Generator Interconnection Relay tag to know what they are looking at. We use a lot of SEL 651Rs in our systems to control an MV recloser at the POCC. The 715 works great too on LV systems. I can't say we have tried the 859.

Phil Timmons

Occupation
Depends on the pay and the day
Typically utility engineers are going to be really savvy so they don't need to see the Distributed Generator Interconnection Relay tag to know what they are looking at. We use a lot of SEL 651Rs in our systems to control an MV recloser at the POCC. The 715 works great too on LV systems. I can't say we have tried the 859.
Pricey, but Nicey. Thanks!

pv_n00b

Occupation
Pricey, but Nicey. Thanks!
Basler has good relays for less. Many utilities will call the relay manufacturer they want to be used. I don't know of any utility that won't accept SEL but yeah, the most expensive. For smaller systems that can't absorb the higher cost, we try to use less expensive relays.
If this is for a microgrid system is there a reason the MID can't perform this function?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
I thought this thread was probably way over my head but I also wanted to ask the MID question. I know PG&E is doing tests or some certification process for resi scale MID devices. For small scale stuff (<400A single phase? Or perhaps bigger) I think utilities should probably be accepting UL 1741 for MIDs and not requiring the more expensive stuff.

pv_n00b

Occupation
I thought this thread was probably way over my head but I also wanted to ask the MID question. I know PG&E is doing tests or some certification process for resi scale MID devices. For small scale stuff (<400A single phase? Or perhaps bigger) I think utilities should probably be accepting UL 1741 for MIDs and not requiring the more expensive stuff.
As far as I know, for residential and small commercial systems that can island the utilities in CA just want a simple isolation MID that opens on loss of the utility power or can be opened for islanding. They treat it like they do a backup generator system. The MID is often part of the BESS manufacturer's system package that allows the system to disconnect and reconnect seamlessly. On larger C&I systems there is just a point where the control systems are a separate system from the PV inverter and BESS and those are relay-based MIDs. Although Tesla MegaPacks have a control system that can operate fairly large MG systems out of the box.

Last edited:

analog8484

Occupation
Tech
Is there any UL 1741 compliant standalone MID available? Or a way to implement equivalent function using other components?

Status
Not open for further replies.