Any good troubleshooting books available?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyDi

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Master Electrician, BA Texas Tech University, College Instructor: Electrician Education
Hello all,
I will be applying for a job soon that will require a lot of troubleshooting type work. I have several years experience in residential and light commercial electrical work. My trouble shooting skills are definitely lacking. Can anyone direct me to a online course or possibly a good troubleshooting book? Any information is appreciated.

A voltmeter is susceptible to false readings due to capacitance from energized conductors, while a solenoid tester requires enough current to bring down induced voltage. They're also good GFCI testers.
Great tip! Thank you.

LadyDi

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Master Electrician, BA Texas Tech University, College Instructor: Electrician Education
Hello all,
I will be applying for a job soon that will require a lot of troubleshooting type work. I have several years experience in residential and light commercial electrical work. My trouble shooting skills are definitely lacking. Can anyone direct me to a online course or possibly a good troubleshooting book? Any information is appreciated.
I also believe that understanding bonding and grounding is essential. Of course, Mike Holt's Bonding and Grounding series is fantastic, so to is Electrical Grounding by Ronald P. O'Riley.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Great tip! Thank you.
You're welcome. Here's another one:

When troubleshooting a bad circuit, carry around the female end of an extension cord that is plugged into a known-properly-wired, non-GFCI-protected receptacle, like a laundry outlet.

That gives you a ground, a neutral, and a hot reference to test the inoperative circuit against with the tester. It's a great way to determine whether you're missing the hot, the neutral, or both.

kwired

Electron manager
A voltmeter is susceptible to false readings due to capacitance from energized conductors, while a solenoid tester requires enough current to bring down induced voltage. They're also good GFCI testers.
However there are digital meters with a low Z function these days and those work as well to load the circuit enough to eliminate ghost voltage readings.

LadyDi

Occupation
You're welcome. Here's another one:

When troubleshooting a bad circuit, carry around the female end of an extension cord that is plugged into a known-properly-wired, non-GFCI-protected receptacle, like a laundry outlet.

That gives you a ground, a neutral, and a hot reference to test the inoperative circuit against with the tester. It's a great way to determine whether you're missing the hot, the neutral, or both.
Nice! Shazamm! Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.