Ancient electrical connector

karn

Occupation
Electrician
I found this old RV electrical tester. It appears to be missing the power cord, and the casing is riveted. Has anyone seen this style of connector/plug before? I was hoping to find out if it's 12-volt or 120-volt and if it's polarity-sensitive.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240409-110638_copy_591x1280.png
    Screenshot_20240409-110638_copy_591x1280.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • Screenshot_20240409-110742_copy_1280x591.png
    Screenshot_20240409-110742_copy_1280x591.png
    855.4 KB · Views: 28

synchro

Occupation
EE
It looks like a polarized two-wire 120VAC inlet to me. You should be able to find a two-wire extension cord that fits.
Now that does not guarantee that they used this connector for 120V. I remember in grade school they had a movie projector where the speakers used standard two-prong 120VAC plugs, and so some student plugged them into the wall with a dramatic effect. :oops:

Last edited:

karn

Occupation
Electrician
Yeah, I was assuming 120v, I might just have to drill out the rivets and take a look inside. I've been curious to peek at the electronics anyway.

Frank DuVal

Fredericksburg, VA 21 Hours from Winged Horses wi
Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Engineer
That is NOT a 120 volt connector!

It is a two prong Cinch -Jones connector which we commonly use for vehicle voltage (typically 12 volts in the 60/70s). I used many of these is installing amatuer radio equipment into cars..

Now, whether the wide prong is + or - depends on who built the box. If one prong reads 0 ohms to case, pretty good assumption that is the - terminal, since there were very few (1956 Packard only typically for domestics, MG took longer to change) positive ground 12 volt vehicles.

And not ancient! Still in production. (y)

karn

Occupation
Electrician
Thanks for the info, I couldn't get a reading to the case but the smaller prong reads 3.5 ohms to the ground terminal on the 7-way port.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
They were also commonly used for loudspeaker connections before the 1/4" phone plug became the standard
They were subject to surface corrosion, especially when used outdoors, requiring an occasional application of WD-40 by amateurs and a deoxidizer by professionals.
As shown in Frank's link they are available is higher numbers of conductors too. All of them are polarized.