Anchor Bolts

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Regarding anchor bolts for light poles. My lighting vendor is providing the anchor bolts to me. I also have to provide precast concrete foundations for the light poles. Don't the anchor bolts need to be set in the foundation? How would that happen if the foundation is precast? Need to send the anchor bolts to my foundation vendor so he can have them set in prior to the casting? Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Are these precast bases different than the ones in your other thread which you said are poured in place?

Alwayslearningelec

Occupation
Estimator
Are these precast bases different than the ones in your other thread which you said are poured in place?

Yes. The same job has about 40 cast in place and 70 precast. So I guess I should I also inquire about installing the anchor bolts in the cast in place as well.

Geber

Occupation
PE, retired electronics engineer
There are at least four kinds of anchor bolts. There are ones that are L-shaped and must be inserted at the time the concrete is cast. There are two-part ones where a lead part goes in the hole and then a bolt screws into it, pushing the lead against the sides of the hole. There are types where the bolt assembly is put in the hole, and when it is tightened, it expands against the side of the hole. Finally, there is a kit where epoxy is mixed and put in the hole, and a threaded rod is inserted into the epoxy-filled hole.

You'll have to find out what kind vendor intends to provide.

Knightryder12

Occupation
Sr. Electrical Designer/Project Manager
Regarding anchor bolts for light poles. My lighting vendor is providing the anchor bolts to me. I also have to provide precast concrete foundations for the light poles. Don't the anchor bolts need to be set in the foundation? How would that happen if the foundation is precast? Need to send the anchor bolts to my foundation vendor so he can have them set in prior to the casting? Thanks.
You would have to send the anchor bolts and the bolt circle pattern to your precast vendor. Your lighting rep should have the bolt circle pattern as well to send to you precast vendor.