Aluminum to copper pigtails

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am pigtailing old aluminum conductors to new copper conductors, is it necessary to pigtail the ground also? Even though it is not conducting any heat.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

gaelectric

I would. The receptacle is typically rated for CU connections only. The existing box size can be a real pain to make it all fit at times. The old aluminum install guys loved using the smallest boxes possible.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Your answer is determined by the terminal that you want to land the conductor on. Is the terminal rated for an aluminum ground wire? If not, then, yes, you need a pigtail of copper on the aluminum ground (Equipment Grounding Conductor).

user 100

I bought them. They were purple and about 1.00 ea. The AHJ said we had to use them.

Sent from my LGLS770 using Tapatalk

There was a fix at one time that involved the original scotchlok wire nuts and no lox that when done correctly seemed to be trouble free. If I *recall* correctly, it seemed that the steel/lead coated spring in that particular connector did a better job w/ al-cu. It was claimed that the soft outer jacket of that connector was also a benefit in the advent of a al/cu joint failing-the jacket would tend to melt instead of cracking under heat stress like the jackets of harder wire nuts.

As far the purples are concerned, there seems to be mixed results about their effectiveness. Some swear by them and others claim that they are too failure prone. Of course, this can be a matter of interpretation-it can be wondered if the failures were the result of improper application.

Status
Not open for further replies.