Age of service trucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdshunk

I'm interested in learning from other contractors what the average age is of the trucks in their fleet? Average age of a service truck and average age of a construction truck too, since I know that the newest and nicest trucks generally go on service calls and get graduated down to construction jobs. Mine, although in good condition, are averaging about 10 years old.

iwire

Staff member
Re: Age of service trucks.

The service trucks 4 or 5 years old, 150,000 to 175,000 miles and they get traded in for new.

No trucks provided for construction projects.

electricmanscott

Since I am a one man operation I can't really comment, but I will anyway. :p My truck is two years old with 37K miles. I am the only one that drives it and it is in new condition. It kills me when I see how employees of other contractors treat their trucks.

bigjohn67

Our service trucks are the newest in the company.
The older ones go to the commercial division.

Also, it is a requirement of all to put a rag to the truck on a weekly basis and as needed.

eswets

I am a two man gig, with a truck that is 2 years old 50,000 miles. I tried to keep my truck in new cond, but with an employee, they don't care. My guy scratched the back door pulling pipe off the back. I confronted him about it and he said this is a work van not a limo. I was about to back hand him. I take pride in my company and I want my truck to show it. I will be looking to replace it next year, or buy a new one for me and use the all scratched up one for roughing houses.

hurk27

Most of our vans are new "2005" but I refused one this time around because I'm waiting on the "2006" 4x4 1 ton GMC. If I'm going to change all my stuff over to a new van I only want to do it once.
My "1996" has 231k on the OD but runs like new. I do all my own repair work on it and also use nothing but Castor Oil GTX 20w50 It might rob me of a few Hp's and miles per gallons but to me less major down time is worth it. Every vehicle I have use this oil in I have never had a major engine problem.

No I don't own stock in the company either! :D

coppertreeelectric

I have only two vans, both are Chevy Express's. The one I drive is one year old with 30,000 mils and the second one that my mech drives is a 98' with 305,000 miles on it. Yes 305k and runs like new and looks like new. We do mostly service work and I always want my trucks looking tip-top. I also make sure that the trucks get washed and cleaned out on Fridays. If we are not pushed for time on Friday we will finish up about an hour early to get organized.

brian john

I have 7 vans, 3 pickups,2 pickups with tool beds and a state body, they range from new 10 years old. Mine is one of the oldest, 7 years old with 280,000 miles original motor never been wrecked.

I like them to look good and not break down, and if they do I sell them and purchase a new one

Status
Not open for further replies.