afci

Status
Not open for further replies.

sid123456

What is the best practice for installing afci in the bedrooms? 1 per room or does everybody try to get away with 1 per 2 bedrooms? just trying to save money.....if it was me i'd put 1 per but those dogon things are so expensive. whats the consensus here?

charlie

Re: afci

Technically, you can put all twenty bedrooms on one AFCI circuit breaker. Really, wire the home the same as you normally would before the AFCI rule and use the AFCI circuit breakers in place of the standard circuit breakers.

I liked the idea of putting the master on its own circuit and the next two on another one. I would run a 12-3/gr to a junction box and split out to feed two circuits. Now with the AFCIs, you will have to run individual circuits. :D

hurk27

That's what we do: Master on it's own and two smaller on one. If other bedrooms apply then we keep one per two bedrooms except the master. Here in Indiana we don't have to put lights and smokes on them, but if we did I would keep lights on there own so to keep them on if the plugs tripped.
But then that's my own idea and not a NEC requirment.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

A master on one and two beds on the other, ditto.

When it starts to get a little weird is when you have a big master and one tiny second bedroom. I'll still install two AFI's, but I'l start picking up general lighting and outlets in the vicinity of the small bedroom.

Remember, that bedroom does not have to be dedicated. And AFCI's have come a ways since their introduction. Fluorescents and bath fans aren't as big a hurdle as they once were. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.