AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'M SURE THIS QUESTION HAS BEEN RAISED BEFORE BUT HERE GOES. THE WAY I HAVE INTERPRETED THE AFCI CODE BASED ON THE CODE AND ADDITIONAL LITERATURE FROM MIKE HOLT, ALL BRANCH CIRCUITS FEEDING THE BEDROOMS OF A DWELLING HAVE TO BE AFCI PROTECTED INCLUDING LIGHTING CIRCUITS. ALL THE PLANS I HAVE BEEN BIDDING ONLY SHOW PROTECTION OF THE RECEPTACLES AND IT SEEMS THAT THIS?IS ALL THE INSPECTORS ARE LOOKING AT, I EVEN HAD AN INSPECTOR MAKE US REMOVE THE AFCI BREAKERS WE HAD INSTALLED ON SOME BEDROOM LIGHTING CIRCUITS. I HAVE ALSO BEEN TOLD BY SOME INSPECTORS THEY DO NOT WANT ANY SMOKE DETECTORS AFCI PROTECTED DUE TO NUISANCE TRIPPING. I GET MORE CONFUSED EVERY DAY. HELP! :confused:

jibber

Re: AFCI

I just wired my own new home and put the lighting and outlets of both bedrooms on one AFCI and the inspector seems to think that's OK.

I have never understood the intention of the arc fault in only the bedrooms anyway. Is that the only place you vacuum or drill into walls? Even the electrical engineers disagree as to the effectiveness of the breakers. The only one I can see immediately benefiting are the manufacturers at $30 a pop!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Dogcircuit: Turn off your caps key.
Jibber
Look at the following Art 100 definitions:
Outlet
Receptacle
Branch ciruit.

Now review the section 210.12 on AFCI's
The CMP clearly meant for a smoke detector, which is installed at an outlet, to be AFCI protected.
Your interperation of the NEC is correct.

The literature and tests support the use of AFCI's in being effective. Anyway, there is no going backwards, code is code, install the afci and go on.

bill addiss

dogcircuit,

I want to add that the answer to your question depends on which code is presently adopted in your area. If it's the 1999 NEC, 210-12 only specifies AFCI protection for Receptacle Outlets.
AFCI protection of anything else (lighting or Smoke Detectors, for example) is optional.

Bill

jimport

Occupation
Master Electrician

Does anyone seem to know the reasoning for excepting the smokes from AFCI protection in some areas?

If the AFCI were to trip the smokes would still have the battery power. I can't see too many people not realizing the power is off in the bedrooms. JMO

gregory

The reason that the bedrooms were selected for arc fault protection is because that is where old people and children spend a great deal of time.

charlie

It also depends on what you jurisdiction has adopted into law. Indiana has adopted the following:

Sec. 12. In Section 210.12(B), Dwelling unit bedrooms, delete ?outlets? and insert ?receptacle outlets?. (Fire Prevention and Building Safety Commission; 675 IAC 17-1.6-12; filed Aug 14, 2002, 4:20 p.m.: 26 IR 17)

hurk27

Charlie

From IAC 675 17-1.6-12 delete ?outlets? and insert ?receptacle outlets?
I never understood why they go through all the trouble of deleting the word "outlets" Instead of just adding the word receptacle in front of the word outlets. LOL :p

May be they haven't learned how to use the arrow buttons on there key board :p LOL

pierre

NY State has as of Jan 1 2003 adopted it's own code of which one volume, The Residential Code of NY State, removes the requirement of AFCI protection from 1&2 family dwelling units. They are not required in those types of installations.
They are required for 3 family and multifamily dwellings for receptacle outlets only.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.