AFCI/GFCI Lifetime derating due to interrupted faults?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Occupation
Power Systems Engineer
I caused an inadvertent short when probing some circuits with a multimeter. The circuit was protected by a 15 amp combination ground fault and arc fault circuit interrupt breaker.

I know there's a UL or similar rating for how many full current interruptions a standard breaker needs to be able to open against. However given all the circuitry inside of these combined devices, is there a prudent derating before replacement? Or since supposedly these devices open up at 5 mA of fault current is it actually completely benign?

What happened in my case was that the multimeter probe bridge the hot and neutral it popped just enough so that I have some copper metal fused to the probe, though the installation and wiring looks just fine. The breaker tripped, I reset it and it was fine... But it spurred the thought in my mind...

Thanks!

templdl

I caused an inadvertent short when probing some circuits with a multimeter. The circuit was protected by a 15 amp combination ground fault and arc fault circuit interrupt breaker.

I know there's a UL or similar rating for how many full current interruptions a standard breaker needs to be able to open against. However given all the circuitry inside of these combined devices, is there a prudent derating before replacement? Or since supposedly these devices open up at 5 mA of fault current is it actually completely benign?

What happened in my case was that the multimeter probe bridge the hot and neutral it popped just enough so that I have some copper metal fused to the probe, though the installation and wiring looks just fine. The breaker tripped, I reset it and it was fine... But it spurred the thought in my mind...

Thanks!
I believe that you will find that the device is UL 489 listed device. As such I must meet the testing requirements of a UL489 listed device.

Status
Not open for further replies.