Ac Solar Trunk Cable ran with DC PV wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

andykee

Yesterday I saw a photo of a single PV System (Enphase) that had a Ac Solar Trunk Cable run cabled tied to DC PV wire run in free air on a roof. Is this just frowned upon or is it a legitimate NEC violation? Thanks

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yesterday I saw a photo of a single PV System (Enphase) that had a Ac Solar Trunk Cable run cabled tied to DC PV wire run in free air on a roof. Is this just frowned upon or is it a legitimate NEC violation? Thanks
If it was an Enphase microinverter system, why was there any DC wiring at all other than the short jumpers to the micros?

andykee

I knew that question coming, I think the layout of the array made it difficult to hide and control the large trunk cable on a standing seam roof, so the microinverters were placed a little bit away from the panels, a new array was added and was completed differently.(AC trunk running(new systerm) with the DC Panels(existing system)).

Carultch

I knew that question coming, I think the layout of the array made it difficult to hide and control the large trunk cable on a standing seam roof, so the microinverters were placed a little bit away from the panels, a new array was added and was completed differently.(AC trunk running(new systerm) with the DC Panels(existing system)).

I'm curious to know too.

A similar situation I come across, is when you have a wire trough with a group of inverters, and all the entries are on the bottom. NEC2014 code seems to require that you separate the wire with a physical partition, but the NEC2014 handbook explains that you don't...you just have to bundle it separately. And I'd like to know the intent of this rule, so I can know just how much additional effort you should do.

No one wants a spaghetti bowl of conduit, and I can't find any designated product as a wire trough separator for this application. I'm not entirely sure what methods are accepted, and how rigid this rule is supposed to be. Is it not one single inch, or is it OK if it is only the majority of the wire? Must it be metallic?

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Both the AC cable and the DC PV wire should be supported to something solid with clips, appropriate cable ties, etc. So if they really tied the AC cable to the DC cable then I'd say that's violation for not having proper support, per the Enphase instructions or otherwise.

However as long as they aren't in a raceway I don't see any other violation. Except maybe 110.12.

Status
Not open for further replies.