ac disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is not clear to me if you need to leave "working space" in front of an AC disconnect. It only states within sight and doesn't referance 110-26. I think "working space" is for places where power can not be turned off. I would like to know what you guys think.

peter d

Re: ac disconnect

You need to be able to safely access the disconnect without climbing over the unit.

Working space rules apply.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor

This subject has come up before in another thread. 110.26 does apply even though it is widely violated in this instance.

butch

abode electric, I have ran across this several times especially with furnaces in closets the majority of the time i had meet with the local inspector to find the best possible location of the disconnect, as you know there is not much room in these closets. Good luck. and Thanks for the letter you sent me about the 12nmb for the a/c unit. It was very informative Thanks again.

ryan_618

Remeber that if any aspects of 110.26 apply, the working space is required. Those aspects are: likely to require servicing, adjustment or examination while enrgized. If the A/C stopss working, the electrician will use his meter to see if voltage is present inside of the disconnect. That is considered examination while energized and therefore the provisions of 110.26 apply.

I talked to the person in charge of codes and standards for NJ today and ask the question about the location of an ac disconnect. I got a response of no I do not have to have working space in front of the disconnect 110.26 does not apply. Readily accessible and within sight is what is required.

In our juresdiction we don't require it because you don't necessarely have to examine "while energized" the disconnect. You can turn off the a/c by the breaker in the panel and you can also examine inside the unit. Can't think of to many reasons or testing you would HAVE to do in the disconnect that you couldn't do in other areas in the cicuit.

[ March 23, 2004, 06:43 PM: Message edited by: rasmithircgov.com ]

ryan_618

Originally posted by rasmithircgov.com:
In our juresdiction we don't require it because you don't nessisarely have to examine while energized the disconnect. You can turn off the a/c by the breaker in the panel and you can also examine inside the unit. Can't think of to many reasons or testing you would HAVE to do in the disconnect that you couldn't do in other areas in the cicuit.
I can appreciate your logic, but where does it end? I can shut off a panel from the service disconnect...would you allow me to build a wall 24" in front of it?

We don't allow the disconnects to be over the unit and as my post said before if fused or overcurrent installed we require it. 3o" by 36" and thats where it stops for us.440.14 Location.
Disconnecting means shall be located within sight from and readily accessible from the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment. The disconnecting means shall be permitted to be installed on or within the air-conditioning or refrigerating equipment.
The disconnecting means shall not be located on panels that are designed to allow access to the air-conditioning or refrigeration equipment. It says nothing of working clearance.We are talking a/c equipment not the heating equipment right?

[ March 23, 2004, 06:59 PM: Message edited by: rasmithircgov.com ]

pierre

Readily accessible - ... to whom ready access is requisite to climb over or remove obstacles or to resort to portable ladders, and so forth.

What about the service technician who is sent to the property and has no access to the panel, but still can service the unit?

Make the disconnect readily accessible, it is not harder to do than normal work, and only takes about 30 seconds of thought process to figure out.

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.