AC circuit breaker identifier

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanert

Hello,
I just got awarded a 170 unit basement apartment remodel. I need to install new lights in drop ceiling and also change, move numerous outlets in the walls. Tennants will not move out. I need to try and limit power interuptions as much as possible. The housing units are 1950's vintage and you can imagine what panel schedules, branch circuit issues will be. Question: Does anybody have any experience with quatility, safe, reliable, circuit tracing systems that will allow easy identifing of branch circuit breakers for disconnect means? Do they work on energized circuits? Also how do you guys feel about wiggies or other voltatge detectors? Personally, I am not a fan of them at all. I have found that many electricians intrust life safety issues in these cheap instruments. However with my experience, it would seem they always give false positives, and not false negatives. I have never looked into it, but I would imagine the work on the principles of magnetic induction. I know Ideal makes a tracer and I think amprobe does as well, but I would like some hands on advice!

charlie tuna

Re: AC circuit breaker identifier

i have the circuit tracers manufactured by 3M -- they were one of the first on the market. one has a problem that requires you to shake the probe to get it to work -- but it does work and is fairly accurate -- we use it in office buildings which are more critical when turning off the wrong circuit! the newer ones on the market today are even better --- don't "go cheap"! also consider a good set of radio's like motorrola's walk around! i was looking at the tracer by amprobe at one time--it looks heavy duty. oh, one mistake i made was one of my 3M units is not rated for 480 volts--it sets in a gangbox most of the time!

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

We have three 3M units that we trust in most (not all) situations even hospitals. These were somewhere between $400.00 and $500.00.

Roger

yanert

Thanks guys, I will try to find the 3M product on the net. I sure appreciate the advice!

yanert

wow guys, I can't seem to find your product anywhere on the net. They don't even list a line voltage tracer on the 3M website?? Maybe they dont make it anymore? When you say don't go cheap, maybe that is the only way to go? Or, maybe the tech. has gotten good enough that they all work the same??
Anyhow, thanks for the advice!

yanert

sorry guys, looks like I found I high end tracer, it just took looking in the right place. Amprobe AT-4005. Guess they are out there!

yanert

thanks hurk

does it have alligator clips that can clip right on to a live conductor??

cclmcvay

I use a very inexpensive tool called a toner. It is mainly used for low voltage applications but can easily be used for what you are working with.

hurk27

yanert
Yes it does and it has a regular plug on the transmitter. It also comes with a cord with a receptacle on one end and alligator clips on the other to connect to circuit wires. there is another long wire with two alligator clips on each end and two plug blades to adapt from the alligator clips to any type of receptacle. as this unit will work on live circuit up to 600 volts.

cclmcvay A toner wont work on live circuits which is the main reason yanert want's one.

Believe it or not I got lucky and found mine at a yard sale along with a Amp-Probe DVM meter that also reads DC amps up to 700 amps. I paid $15.00 for the tracer and $20.00 for the Amp-Probe. When I found how useful it was to be able to trace wires and circuits through the wall. and find buried circuits, Receptacles, phone and cable outlets. I would now pay the $589.00 price tag as this is one of the second most used pieces of test equipment I have when it comes to trouble shooting. Of course my Vol-Con is #1 Amp-Probe #3

peter d

I own thisIdeal breaker finder and it's very good for residential use. It cost about $70. I definitely recomend it.

There is also an identical Sperry version avaialble at Lowe's for around $50.

Edited to correct URL.

[ November 22, 2004, 04:28 PM: Message edited by: peter d ]

charlie k.

The WIGGIE is probally the industry standard for a voltage tester. A solenoid tester such as the wiggie gives you sight, sound and feel. As far as the Ideal breaker locator, it is a good tool at a fair price and you will need to practice a little to learn its use. With a little patience and practice it can be mastered.

noxx

Originally posted by charlie k.:
The WIGGIE is probally the industry standard for a voltage tester. A solenoid tester such as the wiggie gives you sight, sound and feel.
Perhaps, but the Wiggy is also very limited in it's scope and not terribly accurate. I find the Ideal 700 series meters which also include visual, audio, and tactile alarms to be an outstanding and cost effective alternative between a basic Wiggy and a costly Fluke.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by noxx:
Perhaps, but the Wiggy is also very limited in it's scope and not terribly accurate. I find the Ideal 700 series meters which also include visual, audio, and tactile alarms to be an outstanding and cost effective alternative between a basic Wiggy and a costly Fluke.
That is like comparing a Kia to a Lexus. :)

peter d

I find a basic solenoid test to be a great tool it reliably tells you if voltage is there or not.
I agree Bob, as I own 4 different types of "wiggies" myself. :D The wiggy in your picture can be bought for as low as $20 now.

Also, beware of the the new digital, non solenoidal "wiggies" that are also suseptible to phantom voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.