A Strange Installation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been introduced to a groundwater remediation project that involves the installation of three large plate electrodes (100' x 25') buried vertically in the ground. They would have about 200 volts dc applied to them. Are there any electrical safety codes or standards that apply to this installation?

[ July 25, 2005, 08:56 AM: Message edited by: Tom Petersen ]

Re: A Strange Installation

I don't mean to clutter the list, but I suppose the installation needs a brief explanation. The contaminants they're after carry a small electric charge. The underground plates make the contaminated water move from one plate to the other. Between the plates, a mixture of dirt and iron filings cause a chemical reaction that converts the contaminants to a harmless gas. So its an interesting installation, but I'm struggling to give them direction on how to make it safe.

physis

It sounds very interesting. Electrolysis. Are the contaminates specific or is this supposed to work on everything?

Edit: How long are the electrodes expected to last?

[ July 26, 2005, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

The contaminates are specific and the electrodes are expected to last about three years. The process is planned to take about two years for about 99.9% of the contaminates to be removed.

physis

Ooooohhhh, that's even more interesting. The plan is to clean up a plot of land. I like it. :)

Edit: as far as safety, isn't the area planned to be fenced off?

[ July 26, 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

bphgravity

This really is very interesting. I have been reading articles on the web about this procedure all afternoon. I guess this is going on all over the place right under our noses. I read one article about this method used in Germany to clean water of contamination. It took 6 months to clean what would have taken 500 years under other conventional methods. That is truly amazing!

Status
Not open for further replies.