A disconnect at the utility pole

Status
Not open for further replies.

dosk61

I am an apprentice electrician, and will humbly ask a, I hope not a dumb question! I am installing a 200a underground service, panel at my home. At the pole, there will be a service disconnect (per the utility). Now, does this make my 200a panel a sub-panel. Second, the utility has a grounding connector comming down (yes, down) the pole and bonded to the nuetral (line side). Do I need to drive a ground rod at the pole, to bond to the load side, then underground 100' to the house, or, drive a ground rod at the house, and bond at the panel as usual, sounds as if it would accomplish the same thing. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks in advance. Don
Code:

[ March 30, 2005, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: dosk61 ]

bphgravity

Re: A disconnect at the utility pole

My first suggestion would be to get someone qualified to assist you with this project. This issue has come up several times on this Forum and there are several ways of interpreting what the code requires in this situation.

Basically, everything is wired as would any other similiar installation. The conductors to the house are feeders. Here's were you need to involve the AHJ. Find out if the AHJ is considering the utility pole the service disconnect is located as a separate structure. If thats the case, you have two choices for how you install your feeder. This is specified in 250.32. If the the AHJ doesn't consider the pole a structure, then you must serve the house panel as if it were a typical 4-wire feeder.

In my opinion, a safe and adequate job would be to run a 3-wire feeder to the house panel from the service disconnect. Install a grounding electrode system at each location. One at the service disconnect, one at the house panel. The grounded neutral will be bonded to both enclosures and the GEC.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Bear in mind, utility comoanies sometimes have their own requirements for building disconnects on their poles. Be sure to check with the power company before getting too far. :)

Here, REA requires copper conductors on the load side of their meters, and the disconnect is required to ground the meter can they supply.

charlie

Also, if it to be considered a meter disconnect, overcurrent protection is not permitted and you are dealing with service entrance conductors. You really do need to be working with someone else for their input.

Welcome to the forum. With more details, we can provide more information. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.