A/C buzzing noise

Status
Not open for further replies.

booger

When heat pump turns on thee is buzzing noise. You can feel vibration in wires. I have checked for voltage drop and overcurrent also checked grounding. There is equipment ground run with the feeders. Circuit is run in conduit and I have check for proper support i.e. loose straps everything checks out, any ideas or similar experiences out there.

booger

Re: A/C buzzing noise

There is the 24 volt transformer and the contactor on the outside condensor, the circuit is fed from a 120/240 single phase system from utility.

bphgravity

My guess is either the transformer, contactor coil, or contactor contacts are creating the vibration. It is then being transmitted to the case of the A/C unit.

booger

It only does it when it first starts up. If contactor was the problem wouldn't it vibrate all the time?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Sometimes this is just the wires moving in the raceway because of the magnetic fields set up by the high starting current.

booger

Know of any cures? This conduit happens to run thru a yoga medidation room and it is distrubing their medidation.

ken987

I would have a HVAC tech check the unit it may be starting against a high head pressure, and be locked up. Is it emt or ridged up into the unit, if so maybe changing to a flexible raceway would help.

Status
Not open for further replies.