8-2 w/G wire (how many amps?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corky22

I would like to extend power to my campsite, would 8-2 w/G carry upto 20 amp loads for nearly 1000'?
Thank You,
Mary

fc

Corky22 said:
I would like to extend power to my campsite, would 8-2 w/G carry upto 20 amp loads for nearly 1000'?
Thank You,
Mary

I would ask your local electrical contractor and I would also ask him to do it for you.
OR give it a try and see if it don't work you can always scrap the wire---- they are paying good money for scrap and with a 1000' oh boy oh boy !

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
fc said:
OR give it a try and see if it don't work you can always scrap the wire---- they are paying good money for scrap and with a 1000' oh boy oh boy !
Is this that new thing called 'sarcasm'?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I would step the voltage up to 7200 v, use a #14 for the run, then drop it back to 120v at the load and change the conductor to # 12 on the secondary side of this load end transformer.

Of course this is just me, I always try to simplify things.

Roger

GeorgeB

ElectroHydraulics engineer (retired)
Occupation
Retired
roger said:
I would step the voltage up to 7200 v, use a #14 for the run, then drop it back to 120v at the load and change the conductor to # 12 on the secondary side of this load end transformer.

Of course this is just me, I always try to simplify things.

Roger

so the 7200 becomes the branch circuit to the "bedroom", and needs AFCI. Do they make a 7200V AFCI? And I'm sure he'll use 300V NM for the 7200V, right ...

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Just run 240 volts with a 20 amp load @1000' using #14 wire. You'll end up with 115 volts at the load.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
GeorgeB said:
so the 7200 becomes the branch circuit to the "bedroom", and needs AFCI. Do they make a 7200V AFCI? And I'm sure he'll use 300V NM for the 7200V, right ...

Where does the bedroom come into play? And I don't think Mary likes you calling her a he. ;)

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.