690.31(B) Barrier question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All
I have a pv contractor who has installed a ¾” LFNC conduit inside an (E) 2” PVC raceway with the (E) feeder from the service equipment(located at a detached structure) to the primary dwelling. The LFNC contains the PV output circuit conductors, and they used the LFNC as a barrier to comply with 690.31(B). I’m attaching a couple of very poor photos but its all I’ve got for now. Please see the questions below…
  1. Can you run LFNC in a PVC raceway?
  2. Can you use LFNC as a barrier to separate PV output conductors from other non-pv system conductors?
  3. Would I have to consider the LFNC when calculating raceway/conductor fill in the (E) PVC raceway?
  4. Can I the new LFNC raceway be pulled through a conduit that already contains conductors?(they did it, so the question is about code compliance)
  5. Would the LFNC be required to be properly terminated where it enters and exits the panelboard it is being routed through? (keep in mind they need the barrier in the panelboard too)
  6. Anything else I might have missed?

Attachments

• site plan.png
    site plan.png
    143.8 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221227_194134685_iOS.jpg
    20221227_194134685_iOS.jpg
    890.5 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221227_191059378_iOS.jpg
    20221227_191059378_iOS.jpg
    482.7 KB · Views: 13

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
The answers to 2 and 3 are clearly yes, in my opinion. (I was once witness to a UL field listed installation where LFNC was used inside an enclosure as a partition. for different reasons, but still.)

Questions 1 and 4 seem to be the same. In my opinion, yes, it can be done, unless there are instructions somewhere that say it's prohibited.

Question 5 ... If it passes straight through enclousure I don't see why it needs terminating. If it transitions to another raceway I would say they need to be mechanically secure to each other.

Bottom line I don't know of anything specific in the code that prohibits this sort of thing, unless you can find something in instructions or you want to say it's unworkmanlike.

Status
Not open for further replies.