690.13 & .14 Solar Power

Status
Not open for further replies.

physis

WARNING

Don't be intimidated by the length. It's only because the same terminology issue repeatedly appears in the two sections and their subsections. A lot of the proposed revisions are very similar.

Italics: Deleted text.
Bold italics: New text.
(a) and (b) are footnotes
______________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________

Revise sections 690.13 and 690.14. Overview:

The objective of the proposal is to clarify what sections of the solar photovoltaic system are addressed by the disconnecting means requirements in sections 690.13 and 690.14. Each proposed revision is intended to clarify the same issue. That is that the disconnecting means is required to do only one thing. Disconnect the photovoltaic power source at the photovoltaic output circuit.

There are five different terms used in reference to the photovoltaic side of the disconnecting means.

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic Power Source</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic System</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic System Conductors</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic Source Circuit</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">System Conductors</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Only two of these terms are defined in 690.2.

The other three terms look very similar to terms that are defined in section 690.2. Obviously those definitions are not intended to describe the similar terms. Yet someone needing a definition might have a strong inclination to assume, because of the similarity of terms and lack of a definition corresponding to the actual term, that the wrong definition should be used.

Probably the most troubling example is the use of the two undefined terms:

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic system</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Photovoltaic system conductors</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">And the definition for:

</font>
  • <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Solar photovoltaic system</font>
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Associating these two terms with this definition doesn't seem unreasonable. But in actuality there is no useful correlation between them. Because the solar photovoltaic system is defined as the solar power system in it's entirety, comprised of everything from the solar cells to the inverted AC power output for utilization equipment, there is a clear possibility if not tendency to mistakenly interpret 690.14(C) and following subsections as being requirements for an inverter output circuit disconnecting means rather than a photovoltaic power source disconnecting means.

The proposed revisions are intended to better organize the terminology by reducing the use of ildefined language.

Add Definition In Section 690.2:

Photovoltaic Array. A photovoltaic array is an array as defined in this section also including any additional components such as source circuit isolating switches, overcurrent devices, and blocking diodes, up to and including the photovoltaic output circuit conductors.

Substantiation:

There are simply too many instances of the terminology used in reference to system components on both sides of the disconnecting means required by sections 690.13 and 690.14 changing from one subsection to the next while the subject and the components of the system are the same. The terms used should be consistent and defined. The proposed term, photovoltaic array, and it?s definition accomplish both.

Revise Definition of Array In Section 690.2

Array. A mechanically integrated assembly of one or more modules or panels with a support structure and foundation, tracker, and other components, as required, to form a direct-current power-producing unit.

Substantiation:

The proposed revisions to sections 690.13 and 690.14 will identify the disconnecting means covered in those sections as the photovoltaic array disconnecting means. The current definition of array doesn?t include an assembly having only one module or panel. Therefore the proposed term, photovoltaic array, could be interpreted as excluding a single module or single panel assembly. Additionally, a single module or panel array is possible and should be within the definition of array.

Revise Section 690.13.

III Disconnecting Means

690.13 All Conductors.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all current-carrying conductors of a photovoltaic power source from all other conductors in a building or other structure. Where a circuit grounding conductor is not designed to be automatically interrupted as part of a ground fault protection system required by 690.5, a switch or circuit breaker used as a disconnecting means shall not have a pole in the grounded conductor.

690.13 All Photovoltaic Array Conductors. Means shall be provided to disconnect all current-carrying conductors of all photovoltaic arrays from all (a) other conductors in a building or other structure. Where a circuit grounding conductor is not designed to be automatically interrupted as part of a ground fault protection system required by 690.5, a switch or circuit breaker used as a disconnecting means shall not have (b) a pole in the grounded conductor.

Substantiation:

In the interest of consistency the existing term, photovoltaic power source, should be replaced with the proposed term, photovoltaic arrays.

(a) This should refer to premises wiring but in order to revise the language in this section the definition of premises wiring in article 100 will also need to be revised where it refers to photovoltaic systems. I haven?t decided whether I want to address that as well and I'm interested in input.

(b) ?A pole in the grounded conductor? is bizarre language. I want to change it but I?m not sure it doesn?t mean something I?m not aware of.

Revise Section:

690.14 Additional Provisions.
Photovoltaic disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A) through (C).

690.14 Additional Provisions. Photovoltaic array disconnecting means shall comply with 690.14(A) through (C).

Substantiation:

The term photovoltaic is vague and can be associated with any part of the solar photovoltaic system or the entire system. It should be replaced with the proposed term photovoltaic array.

Revise Subsection:

690.14(B) Equipment.
Equipment such as photovoltaic source circuit isolating switches, overcurrent devices, and blocking diodes shall be permitted on the photovoltaic side of the photovoltaic disconnecting means.

690.14(B) Equipment. Equipment such as photovoltaic source circuit isolating switches, overcurrent devices, and blocking diodes shall be permitted on the photovoltaic array side of the photovoltaic array disconnecting means.

Substantiation:

The term photovoltaic is vague and can be associated with any part of the solar photovoltaic system or the entire system. It should be replaced with the proposed term photovoltaic array.

Delete or Revise Subsection:

690.14(C) Requirements for Disconnecting Means.
Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure from the photovoltaic system conductors.

690.14(C) Requirements for Disconnecting Means. Means shall be provided to disconnect all conductors in a building or other structure (a) from the photovoltaic output circuit conductors.

Substantiation:

690.14(C) is redundant. It is the same requirement as 690.13. It should be deleted. If it is not deleted, the existing undefined term, photovoltaic system conductors, should be replaced with the proposed term, photovoltaic output circuit conductors. Partly because of the definition for solar photovoltaic system in section 690.2 the term photovoltaic system conductors can be misinterpreted as referring to the inverter output circuit.

(This substantiation needs some work)

Revise Subsection:

690.14(C)(1) Location.
The photovoltaic disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entry of the system conductors. The photovoltaic system disconnecting means shall not be installed in bathrooms.

690.14(C)(1) Location. The photovoltaic array disconnecting means shall be installed at a readily accessible location either outside of a building or structure or inside nearest the point of entry of the photovoltaic output circuit conductors. The photovoltaic array disconnecting means shall not be installed in bathrooms.

Substantiation:

The existing terms are not defined and there are corresponding terms that have definitions in 690.2. Those terms along with the proposed term, photovoltaic array, should be used in their place.

All that's left is 690.14(C)(2) through (5). I thought I'd get some input before revising the rest of the book. :)

I'm also interested in ideas for other kinds of supporting substantiation.

I'm really not completely happy with the term photovoltaic array and it's definition. Other ideas for a better term or a different way to deal with it, like focusing on the output conductors instead, are encouraged. What I do like about it is that with regard to the disconnect it plainly describes disconnecting the solar cells.

I'm also interested in any insights as to why essentially the same thing is being said so many different ways. I want to try to not overlook the CMP's reasons for doing this that might not be so obvious.

[ July 18, 2005, 03:31 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: 690.13 & .14 Solar Power

Sam,

How can I pick and choose what I want to pick apart if you post a picture? :D

What are photovoltaic output circuit conductors (POCC's), and how are they different from the conductors on the output side of a photovoltaic array (PvA)?

--Okay, looking again, the PvA includes the POCC's. I think this could be an area to focus on: Dealing with the entire power-generating system as a whole, and writing in terms of that.

One other problem: Turbines are still not addressed. Perhaps all the terms dealing with PV-style items can be graouped, wind-power items can be grouped, and the entire production system could be taken as a whole under a different term?

Looks like you've been spending some time on this.
icon14.gif

physis

How can I pick and choose what I want to pick apart if you post a picture?
Good point George. An image takes all the editing features away. :)

Edit:
Looks like you've been spending some time on this.
Yeah. But not as much as it probably looks like. This is really all "one" thing.

[ July 18, 2005, 12:57 AM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

Cleaned space. A result of tidying up.
Broom.gif

[ July 18, 2005, 02:23 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

physis

Ok. That's better. A much better organized thread. :)

There have been a lot of changes since the original posting. The proposal is very different than it was originally.

[ July 18, 2005, 01:35 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

mc5w

In actuality you do need simultaneous disconnection of both the hot conductor and the grounded conductor of a photvoltaic array if the open circuit voltage is over 50 volts. Even then, barehanding 24 volts in the rain has a bit of a sting to it.

Putting a piece of black cloth or plastic over a photvoltaic array does not necessarily shut off the juice because a lot of black membranes are not as opaque as what people perceive. Right after mount Pinatubo erupted I was demolishing a sign on the west side of a building and the ultraviolet went right through my white shirt and burned my whole backside.

In the case of large batteries a good practice is to install a common trip circuit breaker that senses current in the neutral and disconnects the neutral as well as the hot leads. Otherwise, a ground fault of the connecting wire between 2 cells would burn almost forever. Just picture a 60 volt ground fault in a 1,000 ampere-hour 120 volt battery and you get the idea.

physis

I just don't like the idea of "photovoltaic array and it's definition.

It has to be done differently.

Maybe focusing on the photovoltaic output circuit conductors or the system voltage and current.

A definition for the latter would be relitively simple and there probably should be one anyway.

Any input would be cool, any at all. even criticism. :)

mc5w, I'm interested in cleaning up the language so that the solar panel disconnect requirements can be understood without having to ask somebody who already knows what the sections mean. I'm not interested in changing any of the disconnect requirements.

Edited for spelling and I think I still spelled it wrong.

[ July 19, 2005, 06:25 PM: Message edited by: physis ]

Status
Not open for further replies.