6 Lead motor colors

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunt4679

I just ran into a 6 lead 3 phase motor for the first time in many years the problem is the leads are colored but not labeled. I used to have a chart for the color to "T" or "W,U,V" but I can not find it. Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you in advance!

kwired

Electron manager
May want to check continuity of those leads to figure out what arrangement you may have.

If it is two speed two winding motor you would have two sets of three with continuity to one another.

If it is intended for possible wye-delta starting you will have three sets of two with continuity to one another.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
May want to check continuity of those leads to figure out what arrangement you may have.

If it is two speed two winding motor you would have two sets of three with continuity to one another.

If it is intended for possible wye-delta starting you will have three sets of two with continuity to one another.
Finding the pairs for a six lead motor is not hard, just ring them out with an ohm meter. Finding the polarity is the bigger trick. I've done it by hooking a nine volt battery up to each pair of leads and moving a compass around inside the stator, but you have to pull apart the motor to do that.

kwired

Electron manager
Finding the pairs for a six lead motor is not hard, just ring them out with an ohm meter. Finding the polarity is the bigger trick. I've done it by hooking a nine volt battery up to each pair of leads and moving a compass around inside the stator, but you have to pull apart the motor to do that.
I haven't done it with a six lead motor but would think it can be done - with nine lead wye connected windings you can power up the leads that are internally wye connected (which will be leads 7-8-9 on these motors) and apply the "low" rated voltage to them with little or no load being driven, and take voltage measurements on the remaining leads to determine correct polarity for them.

Can't tell you off top of my head exactly what to be looking for though.

Status
Not open for further replies.