6/2 CU cable: 60amp cb?

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
There are a few supply houses around here that suffer from the "If I never herd of it they must not make it I cant be bothered to look" plague.
You can get copper SE down to #8 from some manufacturers but its a large minimum order.

Your reference to 55 amps would indicate a NM (Romex( cable in all probability,
Note you can use SE cable which has a 65 amp ampacity.
I thought there was a rule of thumb that if the ampacity is not matched by an available breaker size, that you can bump up to the next size. BTW SE CU isn't available around here.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I thought there was a rule of thumb that if the ampacity is not matched by an available breaker size, that you can bump up to the next size. BTW SE CU isn't available around here.
Not a rule of thumb, but an actual allowance. If a common sized OCPD is not made that matches the load, you are allowed to go to the next size OCPD. However the load can't go over the size the conductor is rated for. In the case of NM 6-2, you could use a 60A breaker but the load can't be over 55A.

Not a rule of thumb, but an actual allowance. If a common sized OCPD is not made that matches the load, you are allowed to go to the next size OCPD. However the load can't go over the size the conductor is rated for. In the case of NM 6-2, you could use a 60A breaker but the load can't be over 55A.
The load is rated as 48 amps. The Ford installation book calls for a 48amp continuous load on a 60 amp cb. So I'm good with the 60amp cb on the 6/2 CU Romex that's rated at 55amps.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The load is rated as 48 amps. The Ford installation book calls for a 48amp continuous load on a 60 amp cb. So I'm good with the 60amp cb on the 6/2 CU Romex that's rated at 55amps.
NO!!! 48 amps continuous = 60 amps. 6/2 NM cable is only rated for 55 amps. You need to use a conductor with an ampacity of 60 amp or greater.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
NO!!! 48 amps continuous = 60 amps. 6/2 NM cable is only rated for 55 amps. You need to use a conductor with an ampacity of 60 amp or greater.
I agree that's what the NEC says in 210.19(A)(1)(a).

But the rule makes no sense for this situation, at 60C the #6 Cu is rated to carry 55A continuously, so there is no issue with it carrying only 48A continuously. And 240.4(B) says it's fine to protect 60C #6 Cu with a 60A OCPD for a non-continuous 55A load, and the #6 Cu will be equally well protected when the load is only 48A, rather than 55A.

Cheers, Wayne

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
I agree that's what the NEC says in 210.19(A)(1)(a).

But the rule makes no sense for this situation, at 60C the #6 Cu is rated to carry 55A continuously, so there is no issue with it carrying only 48A continuously. And 240.4(B) says it's fine to protect 60C #6 Cu with a 60A OCPD for a non-continuous 55A load, and the #6 Cu will be equally well protected when the load is only 48A, rather than 55A.

Cheers, Wayne
Minimum ampacity required is 125% of 48 = 60.

If you have or must consider your conductor to be a 60C conductor 6 AWG is only a 55 amp conductor.

You can use 90C ampacity column for adjustments if those apply but absolute minimum conductor size is still based on 60C ampacity for termination temp reasons.

If you have at least 75C conductor you are fine as it's ampacity is over 60.