480 volt chiller motor hookup

Status
Not open for further replies.

dm9289

Industrial Maintenance Electrician
Occupation
Industrial process repair/ maintenance Electrician
Our company is adding a small chiller a SAC-05. They apparently bought it from an oversees vendor with poor manuals and communication skills.

It comes with a whip/ cord with a premade cord l1-l2-l3 neutral and gnd.

Looking at the diagram it uses one leg of the 3 phase and the neutral to supply a transformer 280-220 step down for control power like I would suspect to be a wye system.
Can I replace the transformer with a 480-240 volt transformer being fed by L1-L2 because we run a ungrounded 480v delta?

The Motors are foreign and use no neutral for the hook up from the diagram.
Is there a difference between a wye and delta motor because from my guess from the control power this is normally used with a wye system?
Do to lack of knowledge or language skills the vendor cannot answer the questions

Thanks as always
Dave

LEO2854

Esteemed Member
Our company is adding a small chiller a SAC-05. They apparently bought it from an oversees vendor with poor manuals and communication skills.

Looking at the diagram it uses one leg of the 3 phase and the neutral to supply a transformer 280-220 step down for control power like I would suspect to be a wye system.
Can I replace the transformer with a 480-240 volt transformer being fed by L1-L2 because we run a ungrounded 480v delta?

Is there a difference between a wye and delta motor because from my guess from the control power this is normally used with a wye system?
Do to lack of knowledge or language skills the vendor cannot answer the questions

Thanks as always
Dave

Hello Dave: In bold it seems to me that is can run on a 480/277 volt system using 277 volts to ground

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician

I can't give you an answer that you can completely rely on but I'll take a stab.

Since the output voltage of your control transformer falls within the range of the diagram I don't see a problem.
I don't know of a three phase motor that uses a neutral, foreign or domestic.
There are differences between wye and delta motors and those differences are different for an IEC motor vs. a NEMA motor but that is another discussion.

For any motor the only thing that matters is the applied voltage. If the system is wye or delta, grounded or ungrounded, and every other possibility.... the inside of the motor can't tell one from the other. Using the proper connections to motor leads for the applied voltage is what matters.

IEC motors use wye for high voltage connections and delta for low voltage connections so I would say you should use the wye connection diagram for your hook up.

Thanks as always
Dave
Forget talking to the vendor, get a hold of a local motor shop.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, your basic plan to change the transformer in order to supply the control voltage from your 480 system is valid.

Aleman

Your control transformer won't care if it gets 2 lines or line and neutral, as long as voltage is ok.

Probably you won't need the neutral if you do that and can use 3 phases and ground.
Make sure the transformer is the only thing that uses the neutral.

Maybe this will help on wiring the motor.

101849d1394531615-why-my-3-phase-motor-turning-42-rated-rpm-seweurodrivey_yy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.