410.10 luminaries in specific location

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

I was just reading 410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower areas and learned something. I don't know how many times I read though it, I always thought you couldn't have lights in the restricted zone. Now I see you can have securely mounted wall luminaire and surface-mount or recess within the zone. I think I keep reading, I am sure there something else I missed. :)

gus

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
There are specific types that are not permitted in the shower zone. If the recessed fixture is not subject to shower spray it's only required to listed for damp locations.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The interesting thing is that a standard can with open bulb may be used in a shower stall where the can is more than 8' above the threshold and not subject to spray. I think a 9' ceiling would accommodate this. I have never tried to get that passed. :)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
I was just reading 410.10(D) Bathtub and Shower areas and learned something. . . I always thought you couldn't have lights in the restricted zone.
Isn't that something? :)

I had the same misconception for the longest time, myself. The securely mounted wall sconce is the most surprising to me, still. But, hey, the NEC allows it.

here in san antonio an open bulb recess trim in the shower passes inspection but the lamp must be an outdoor par flood lamp.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
here in san antonio an open bulb recess trim in the shower passes inspection but the lamp must be an outdoor par flood lamp.
Unless there is an amendment it must be 8' from the shower or tub threshold. The Par bulb must be an amendment also because it is not required although it is not a bad idea.

shockin

Unless there is an amendment it must be 8' from the shower or tub threshold. The Par bulb must be an amendment also because it is not required although it is not a bad idea.

This brings up a questions I have. I know that PAR lamps say indoor/outdoor on them. I don't see a listing on a "R" lamps. I assume that the are indoor rated. If this is the case, can you install them in a can light insatlled in an exterior soffit?

FYI - I always have.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
This brings up a questions I have. I know that PAR lamps say indoor/outdoor on them. I don't see a listing on a "R" lamps. I assume that the are indoor rated. If this is the case, can you install them in a can light insatlled in an exterior soffit?

FYI - I always have.

An R lamp is not rated for wet location however there is no reason that the bulb cannot be used where water will not splash on it. This of an open bottom outdoor fixture. The bulb is a standard "A" lamp that will burst if water hits it while it is hot. This is just not an issue where the bulbs is facing down. I also use R lamps in soffit cans.

Status
Not open for further replies.