400amp service feeding a 400amp and a 200amp distribution panel.

WadeC

Occupation
Electrician
I Have a client who wants a 400amp service to feed a 400amp distribution panel and a 200amp distribution panel. I was originally going to build a rack for the meter and a 400amp fused safety switch then go lateral to the 400amp distribution panel on the building. Now they want a 200amp distribution panel at the rack. I was planning on paralleling from the switch to the building originally. Any thoughts on how i can come out of the switch and feed everything? Can I come out of the switch to a gutter and connect it with a Polaris?

Carultch

Can I come out of the switch to a gutter and connect it with a Polaris?
Absolutely. That's precisely the purpose of the Polaris connector. You can run 400A of wiring out of the load side of the safety switch, and use a 3-port Polaris connector for the 200A tap to the main breaker of the 200A panel, complying with the applicable part of 240.21(B).

Another option which might be cleaner is set a 400A main breaker panelboard with feed thru lugs at the rack . Use the feed thru lugs to continue over to the building.

Just as an example, something like this but in a NEMA 3r enclosure of course

WadeC

Occupation
Electrician
Absolutely. That's precisely the purpose of the Polaris connector. You can run 400A of wiring out of the load side of the safety switch, and use a 3-port Polaris connector for the 200A tap to the main breaker of the 200A panel, complying with the applicable part of 240.21(B).
Thank you!