40% seal-offs vs. 25% seal-offs

Status
Not open for further replies.

sanders11

The NEC says that it is acceptable to use 40% seal-offs if they are listed as 40% seal-offs by the manufacturer. Appleton, Killark, and others make these seal-offs that are listed as 40% seal-offs. I recently received one of these 40% seal-offs, and it appears to identical to the 25% seal-off. I was wondering if anyone has experience with these 40% seal-offs and could explain the difference between the two?

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Functionally there is no difference.

The situation arose from the old ?25% new work,? ?40% old work? rules that were in place over 30 years ago. The maximum raceway fill for ?new? work was limited to 25%. When a raceway was reused, up to 40% was permitted. Then it dawned on the Panels that if 40% were safe at all, there was no valid reason to limit new work either.

It took UL over 25 years to realize that their test standard for seals was based only on the 25% fill and word slowly leaked out. The UL test standard is predominantly a performance spec and many of the old ?25% seals? are still very close performance-wise to what are now ?40% seals,? so the difference may not always be discernible. Their sizes and volumes were larger for reasons that had little to do with the fill and more to do with the casting/manufacturing process. One of my IEEE/PCIC papers with Lon Ballard, the Crouse-Hinds, Manager of Technical Specifications, explains this in detail.

Several of my Proposals through API lead to the current text including, recognizing 40% designs, recognizing ?ring? reducers in oversized seals, and recognizing it is based on RMC fills specifically.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
All of the 40% fill seals that I have used looked identical to the 25% fill ones except they used a size or two larger casting with a smaller taped entries. For example a 40% fill 3/4 seal may be a 1" seal casting with threaded entries for 3/4" conduit.
Don

Status
Not open for further replies.