4 wire delta

Status
Not open for further replies.

gar

Occupation
EE
140428-1000 EDT

In our area there are high leg deltas all over the commercial areas. Easily spotted by two transformers, one large for the single phase lighting loads, and one small to supply the air conditioners, or in our case CNC machines. When three transformers are present it takes a closer look to see that it is a high leg delta.

In my residential neighborhood, one block radius, there are at least two high leg deltas. In one of these homes there is a three phase panel and a separate single phase panel.

In the shop we use two pole, or single pole breakers for single phase. Some of the three phase panels have single phase loads with blank spaces.

Nom Deplume

We just finished a job where we had 3 phase pumps in a manhole supplying water in a residential neighborhood.
There was only one padmount transformer near the manhole and there were no others in the area.

I bet my guys that the voltages would be a hi-leg delta and they didn't know what I was talking about.

I had them go down and take some measurements and I told them what they would get for readings.
It took a while for them to understand what kind of system it was after I drew it out for them.

It made sense to me, only one transformer for the houses and the pumps screamed hi-leg delta.

kwired

Electron manager
Is pretty common on the farms around here, and with a full delta in most cases. If you have a lot of motor loads you get a little more bang for your buck with 240 volts then you get with 208 volts. If you are in an isolated area or have limited load then the open delta saves the POCO a little money in equipment costs, but does require larger transformers then if it were full delta.

Status
Not open for further replies.