3 way ceiling fan control

Status
Not open for further replies.

gschuman

Is it common (or becoming common) to use 3-way fan controls for rooms with multiple doors? For instance, a bedroom with an additional entry from the outside of the house? I never saw it used, but this one builder seems to want the fan/light to get controlled from any doorway. I think it is a bit much, IMO.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: 3 way ceiling fan control

Hey!

If I can do it, and the customer wants to pay for it, the customer gets it. :)

gndrod

gschuman, Would you believe 4-way with remote control of lamp dimmer and motor speed control. Yep, people have money to spend....and the technology is available. :)

rbj, Seattle

charlie tuna

i built my home twenty five years ago and installed three way switching on the ceiling fan outlets so i could turn it on or off from my bed. the switch is built into the head board. today they have wireless remote controls. and also, today the use of ceiling fan lighting as room lighting is used more so! if they want it and want to pay for it ---- give it to them!

active1

I don't like roughing for this because most times you don't know what type of fan they will get. They could get some oddball fan with a built in remote reciever. Now what do I do. For me it's too hard explaining the options so the customer can understand. I get stuck with customers that can't understand the 3 way switch concept when laying out things.

Tom

gndrod

Tom, Rough-in a 3-way and include a 70lb. rated ceiling box. If the client wants to pop for a paddle fan & remote, its easy...just like hanging a light fixture. (Oops...I meant luminaire.) :D

Make sure the change order is signed.

rbj, Seattle

Status
Not open for further replies.