3 phase service calculation max kw load

Status
Not open for further replies.
please help with a service calculation i have!! The building in question is a dog kennel it has 3 phase power 120/208 volt service rated @ 200 amps. The highest kw reading from the power co. was 61.5 kw, I feel that his service is about maxed out becouse @ 80% the service should be good for 57 kw. Do you feel the same way ?, if so how do I relay the information correctly to the customer maybe my calculation is off and I dont need to sell him a service upgrade to a 400 amp service,however I feel he has no room for any extra equiptment down the road electricman31@aol.com

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: 3 phase service calculation max kw load

This is hard to say.

#1 What length of time did this reading last?

#2 What time of day?

3# What time of year?

#4 This is the highest peak and would only have a bearing as such in the average, but not be a true consideration (the same would be true of the lowest figure) in the overall service sizing.

I would take known loads and averages before making a determination as to selling a new service.

Roger

ron

Assuming a perfect power factor :) the service could handle 72kW (as mentioned by Bennie).
What expansion is scheduled that you might feel that the load will increase?

bennie

Esteemed Member

The main breaker should be rated for 100% continuous use.

The panel is good for 200 amps forever. The peak load is 170 amps, which is within the limits of rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.