3 phase neutral possibly missing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparkync

I've got a service call to an old motel, possibly built and wired in the early 60's.
1 room has 211 volts on three of the outlets in the room. The only outlet that has 110 volts is the GFCI outlet at the bathroom sink. It is fed of of the lighting circuit. There are 3 circuits sharing a neutral I'm pretty sure. The panel is like a "rats neat" and it's hard to trace wires. I have pulled out the affected outlets and see no obvious problems other than the 211 volts. Turning 2 of the breakers off that are supposed to be controlling the rooms turns off the reading of 211 volts, but still has 110 volts from hot to ground and 110 volts from neutral to gound. When I turn a 3rd breaker off, it does turn all the power off hot and neutral. Two of the circuits are on the same.phase in the panel (#1 and #7). I'm thinking the neutral connection in the line somewhere is broken causing the high voltage. Just where it is, is the question. Conduit is in rigid pipe coming out of the slab. Circuits have no equipment ground other than conduit. This is a "low class" motel hard to troubleshoot under the circumstances. Any suggestion will be appreciated 😊.
Thanks

rambojoe

Occupation
Wireman
Either you've met a floater returning on a ground , or you're gonna. And you will taste it while every muscle in your body contracts. This is almost a flaggable post.

Status
Not open for further replies.