240 Equipment Wiring Quandry

Status
Not open for further replies.

pixel8

[FONT=verdana, geneva, lucida, lucida grande, arial, helvetica, sans-serif]I have a "new" (but really old) piece of equipment with two 115/230 - 1hp motors. I was told it was 240 but what it looks like is that actually one hot leg goes to each motor along with a neutral. I have an 240 receptacle that used to power a welder (50A), where this gem needs to be. The receptacle has two hot wires and a ground. Running a new neutral to this location is practically impossible. What I was wondering was, would it be ok to move the ground in the panel to the neutral buss and mark it as neutral and then ground the equipment to the the receptacle box?[/FONT]

The circuit leaves the panel as a 2/6 service wire with bare ground and at the 1st place I can pick it up, it is just three THHN #6s. Everything is run inside a building in 3/4" EMT. I can get to the point where the bare ground splits in the panel to insulate it down to the neutral buss.

I know the best solution would probably be to install a neutral but barring that, does this seem like the best way??

New to this site but I am glad I found it! Thanks for any help you can give!!

Chad

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I am closing this thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC� Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.