cn 120v
ab 208v
ac 208v
bc 208v
ag 202v
be 203v
cg 008v
ng 120v
What could be causing this. Defective trans former? Looks like its wired properly

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
C is not grounded and neutral is bonded to gnd at Trans
Are you positive? The only way you can get the voltages you posted is a floating neutral. The C phase can be faulted to ground anywhere from the output, to a load faulted. Turn off all loads and see if the voltage changes.

Pscar55

Occupation
Electrical
Are you positive? The only way you can get the voltages you posted is a floating neutral. The C phase can be faulted to ground anywhere from the output, to a load faulted. Turn off all loads and see if the voltage changes.
I will try that again tomorrow. Thanks for the input

acin

Occupation
general building contractor est.1984 . C 10 elec. lic.as of 8 / 7/ 2020
Here are.my readings at the 120v/208 panel
an 120v
bn 120v
cn 120v
ab 208v
ac 208v
bc 208v
ag 202v
be 203v
cg 008v
ng 120v
What could be causing this. Defective trans former? Looks like its wired properly
Im still learning . b to e is e earth?

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
I agree that the voltages seen look like a 'corner grounded' system.

If on physical inspection the system appears to be neutral grounded, then there must be _two_ faults, a broken ground connection and a phase to supposedly grounded metal fault.

Remember that soil is not some magical sink for electricity. It is a conductor. A fairly poor but very large conductor.

The neutral could be grounded at the transformer but floating at the service, and then a phase to enclosure fault would look like a corner grounded system. This could be very dangerous because all bonded metal in the building would be at 120V relative to remote earth.
How about neutral grounded at the transformer to an electrode there.

To the OP when you make measurements again please specify where you are making them. By 'a to ground' I presume you had one meter probe on the a phase and one on something like a ground bus.

Did you try different 'ground ' points? Did you try measuring voltage between different ground points?

Is this problem at a service or a subpanel or at a junction box somewhere?

Jon

Sarge56

Occupation
Instructor, electrician
We had an ungrounded 3-phase system, 480 volt. 3 lights at 1200 amp panel that would indicate a ground fault. I did not know about this system at the time. When troubleshooting a machine, I got 480 between 2 phases and 480 to ground. Near heart attack. Turned out that another machine no way nearby had a ground fault at the motor leads.

He says it is not grounded but there may be an unintentional ground fault. And it could be anywhere. The only way you can get those readings is either through an intentional or unintentional grounded phase C. If it were me doing this, I would determine if the trans is delta or wye. If wye, ground the center point. I totally miss this work.

Status
Not open for further replies.