2017 NEC 705.12(A)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know what you mean by "If that POCO makes changes after the fact..." Everyone involved, including the POCO, missed that both buildings were fed from the same transformer and that the sum of the two PV systems' AC kW ratings exceeded the kVA of the transformer. Nothing was changed after the fact.

Their transformers are absolutely their issue and theirs alone. They are the ones the need to evaluate their equipment. They apparently approved the DG application (s) with no or minimal construction costs - then they came back and changed it. Someone on there and clearly messed up and they put the blame on you, it's absolute BS. I'm honestly not sure you will find anyone on this forum who disagrees with me on this.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Their transformers are absolutely their issue and theirs alone. They are the ones the need to evaluate their equipment. They apparently approved the DG application (s) with no or minimal construction costs - then they came back and changed it. Someone on there and clearly messed up and they put the blame on you, it's absolute BS. I'm honestly not sure you will find anyone on this forum who disagrees with me on this.
I do not disagree, either, but as I said I am not commenting on what I think should have happened, only on what did happen. We tried to get the POCO to spring for the upgrade but they refused. I already said what I think happened on their end; the interconnection applications went into their system separately, and each was evaluated without taking the other into consideration. Since the systems were completely built before this came to light, we had no leverage in the situation.

I do not disagree, either, but as I said I am not commenting on what I think should have happened, only on what did happen. We tried to get the POCO to spring for the upgrade but they refused. I already said what I think happened on their end; the interconnection applications went into their system separately, and each was evaluated without taking the other into consideration. Since the systems were completely built before this came to light, we had no leverage in the situation.
Yeah maybe the applications "crossed" in just the wrong way..... still seems like they should eat it. I certainly don't get to go back to a customer I have given a quote to and say sorry I didn't catch this, I am charging you $5k more

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Consulting Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Yeah maybe the applications "crossed" in just the wrong way..... still seems like they should eat it. I certainly don't get to go back to a customer I have given a quote to and say sorry I didn't catch this, I am charging you $5k more
Had we realized ahead of time that this would be an issue we could have negotiated a better settlement or punted on one of the systems, but with two customers with systems already built and impatient to turn them on our options were limited.

Incidentally, that wasn't the only time we have had to pay for our education. :D

Had we realized ahead of time that this would be an issue we could have negotiated a better settlement or punted on one of the systems, but with two customers with systems already built and impatient to turn them on our options were limited.

Incidentally, that wasn't the only time we have had to pay for our education. :D
I had a almost very costly misunderstanding with a power company a few years ago. I wanted to add a new 200A 480v service to a building. I went thru the application process and they came back with a cost of $1700. Wow thought that was kinda cheap, but POCO costs are all over the place with many different tariffs and some subsidizing construction costs with higher rates......in the end the owner gets a bill for 16k. Apparently the rep had misunderstood (I recall her English was not very good) and thought I was just adding a meter to the existing service, not a whole new service. Fortunately my client either didn't remember or didn't care about the original number and they desperately needed the new service so all was good.

I remember a few times questioning/suggesting to the utility about stuff on their side of the service point. It went poorly. One time was a new build for a grow house and I questioned the size of the transformer they were installing. I wasn't going off bloated NEC calcs, but the actual load of 450 1000W hps lights and associated HVAC . I remember the POCO guy said "nope we're all set."

Another time after doing a 1000A service upgrade, I suggested their handhole needed some work as the connections and conductors - which were reused and not changed and 25 years old - had significant corrosion and some conductor was visible outside the insulating boot. The guy was not impressed and said, "let us worry about our equipment.".

Status
Not open for further replies.