2014 705.12(D)(2)(1) Feeders

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mezani

I have a service with a 200 amp main breaker with a 60amp feeder to a 100 amp rated subpanel, My question is, is it acceptable to install a the 40 amp PV breaker in the subpanel?

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I have a service with a 200 amp main breaker with a 60amp feeder to a 100 amp rated subpanel, My question is, is it acceptable to install a the 40 amp PV breaker in the subpanel?
Yes, if the inverter breaker is at the opposite end of the sub panel main lugs.
This new language in 705.12(D)(2) makes it similar to the the requirement for 705.12(A) in that it is recognized that the 60 feeder conductors will only see 60 amps of load if the inverter is connected at the opposite end.

jaggedben

Occupation
Solar and Energy Storage Installer
Yes, if the inverter breaker is at the opposite end of the sub panel main lugs.

Actually that's not necessary, because at 60A+40A he is not exceeding the rating of the sub. So the inverter breaker can go anywhere in the sub.

HOWEVER, the breaker feeding the sub must be at the opposite end from the main breaker in the main panel.

In other words, what you said, except applied to the main and not the sub.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
Actually that's not necessary, because at 60A+40A he is not exceeding the rating of the sub. So the inverter breaker can go anywhere in the sub.

HOWEVER, the breaker feeding the sub must be at the opposite end from the main breaker in the main panel.

In other words, what you said, except applied to the main and not the sub.
I would agree. I guess I was concentrating on the idea that the feeder conductors don't have to be rated for 60 + 40 as some thought in previous editions.

Status
Not open for further replies.