200a 240 residential service,200a each leg in theory

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stewartmatte

Looking for a definite answer,and maybe very brief explanation, about the "potential ? power I have available at house.

I have a 200a 240v service at my house. Everything in my home is electric, no gas appliances. I have gotten different answers about this but I know somehow it can be done because I've seen it.

I am going to need quite a bit of power in November and December this year. Total of about 100 amps extra (as in I will be running 100a more than I usually do when I'm just using normal every day appliances). I started last night going thru and jotting down different appliances amp ratings so I can get an idea of what they all use.

Sorry long explanation, main question is: can I in theory use up to say 160 amps per leg at 120 simultaneously? I say 160a BC of course to be safe you should always stay below max amperage rating. I know in theory 200a at 240v is the same as 400amp at 120. (Not exactly how it works out technically I think,so excuse me if that's incorrect). But just want to know if I have a sub panel installed and all circuits are balanced, can I technically run 160a thru both legs same time if ran at 120?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
can I in theory use up to say 160 amps per leg at 120 simultaneously?
Yes you can, you can even use 100 percent of the rating but not continuous.

With that said, I am closing the thread in accordance with the forum rules.

This site is designed for:

• Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC? Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.