2008 code proposals

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka6chp

Gentlemen: I suggest that all references to lamp bases/sockets (e.g. medium, mogul, etc) reflect the IEC nomenclatures: e.g. E-27, E-40, B22, BA15d, etc. I also suggest the following changes to the 2008 NEC: 1. That the practice of putting a PVC TA into a threaded hub (e.g. a Bell box) be prohibited, and a requirement similar to CEC (Canadian Electrical Code) 12-1210 (2), (3) in which a close nipple with PVC FA is required; 2. That a receptacle for vehicle engine block heaters be provided in (residential) parking spaces, similar to a requirement in CEC 8-400;( Useful in Alaska, and also useful for battery charger or other tools associated with automotive maintenance. 3. That the CE mark be recognised as an approval (similar to UL/CSA) as long as the device being used can be safely operated with no adverse effects.

bphgravity

Re: 2008 code proposals

1. I don't see how a PVC TA presents a potential hazard to life or property necessitating such a change. What substantiation was provided mandateing the change in the CEC?

2. This is a design issue in my opinion. A receptacle for that purpose is certainly not prohibited to be installed and I would not find them particularly useful here in Florida.

3. Not really a code issue.

I don't really have an opinion about your first suggestion. There are many descrepancies between NEC terminology and other technical documents. Perhaps they can do a Article 410 type arrangement with a term and the other in parenthesis or make a reference to that document and section in a FPN.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

the ce mark is NOT the same thing as being listed by a NRTL. I think there is zero chance of that part of your proposal getting approved.

ryan_618

Do you have a technical substantiation?

Why would I need an engine block heater in Florida? If Alasks wants one, they can amend the ENC on the local level.

The recognintion of CE is not an NEC issue. NRTL's are a requirement of OSHA, not the NEC.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

"I suggest that all references to lamp bases/sockets (e.g. medium, mogul, etc) reflect the IEC nomenclatures: e.g. E-27, E-40, B22, BA15d, etc"
Not a bad idea. After all we went from fixture to luminare in 2002. Submit a proposal and then get support from the lighting industry for supporting comments.
Or make a proposal for a FPN to an ansi standard

Status
Not open for further replies.