20 amp dedicated circuit for refrigerators (resi)

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter d

Why do electricians continue to waste money and resources by running a dedicated 20 amp circuit for refrigerators? Energy Star and modern advancements have rendered this practice completely unnecessary. A dedicated 15 is fine. For that matter, it could be on with the countertop 20 amp circuit and not be a problem.

jeff48356

Why do electricians continue to waste money and resources by running a dedicated 20 amp circuit for refrigerators? Energy Star and modern advancements have rendered this practice completely unnecessary. A dedicated 15 is fine. For that matter, it could be on with the countertop 20 amp circuit and not be a problem.

I don't. I always run them to a dedicated 15A circuit. I would rather have it on that than on one of the 20A SABC's. Otherwise it would probably be downstream from a GFCI receptacle, which is undesirable for a refrigerator for obvious reasons.

Besides the two 20A SABC's, I run dedicated circuits for these 4 appliances:

Refrigerator - 15A
Disposal - 15A
OTR Microwave - 20A
Dishwasher - 20A

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought a dedicated refer circuit was 15amps in the nec for quite some time...?

~RJ~

peter d

I don't. I always run them to a dedicated 15A circuit. I would rather have it on that than on one of the 20A SABC's. Otherwise it would probably be downstream from a GFCI receptacle, which is undesirable for a refrigerator for obvious reasons.

Refrigerator - 15A
Disposal - 15A
OTR Microwave - 20A
Dishwasher - 20A

If I put the fridge on the SABC, I'll make sure it's not on the load side of the GFCI.

I combine DW and disposal on the same 20 amp circuit.

kwired

Electron manager
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought a dedicated refer circuit was 15amps in the nec for quite some time...?

~RJ~
what he said:

It's not required, but it's allowed under an exception. It can be on the 20 amp counter circuit or be fed from a dedicated 15 or 20.

Can't remember when they made change allowing the 15 amp circuit, maybe 1999 or 2002? Before then the fridge had to be on one of the 20A SABC's. You could still run an individual circuit if you wanted, but it had to be 20 amp and be counted as a SABC @ 1500 VA.

kwired

Electron manager

Refrigerator - 15A
Disposal - 15A
OTR Microwave - 20A
Dishwasher - 20A

If I put the fridge on the SABC, I'll make sure it's not on the load side of the GFCI.

I combine DW and disposal on the same 20 amp circuit.
I have almost always ran single 20A circuit to supply both DW and DISP. never had callbacks or complaints about overloading - doubt they ever are overloaded.

OTR microwave - I usually run individual 20 amp circuit, though I'd bet you can get by having other loads on with it in many cases especially some lighting but those are simpler if on 15 amp circuit and 14 AWG conductors so those get avoided anyway.

Refrigerator I have seldom ever put on individual circuit, in typical dwelling anyway. If you want to avoid having on with counter top receptacles, put it on with dining room, pantry, breakfast room.... those must also be on SABC's.

peter d

I have almost always ran single 20A circuit to supply both DW and DISP. never had callbacks or complaints about overloading - doubt they ever are overloaded.

OTR microwave - I usually run individual 20 amp circuit, though I'd bet you can get by having other loads on with it in many cases especially some lighting but those are simpler if on 15 amp circuit and 14 AWG conductors so those get avoided anyway.

Refrigerator I have seldom ever put on individual circuit, in typical dwelling anyway. If you want to avoid having on with counter top receptacles, put it on with dining room, pantry, breakfast room.... those must also be on SABC's.

When I was working for an new house EC we had one builder that was super cheap so we installed a dedicated 15 for the OTR microwave. Never had a problem with that arrangement since most of them were 1500 watts.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
i think (key term)the '96 210.52 (b) (1) ex for refers may be it's debut , says 15amps OR greater, anyone have a '93 handy?

but still why? was this before the commercial kitchen was in 422, and it just got stuck there?

~RJ~

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Because there are electricians who chose to do more than the bare minimum requirements.
The fridge may draw only 6-8amps but the all the other appliances may not.

kec

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I can't remember the last time I put the refrig. on a 20A with a new rough-in. Most run at about 7-9 amps and I rather not have it on the counter circuits.

peter d

Because there are electricians who chose to do more than the bare minimum requirements.
The fridge may draw only 6-8amps but the all the other appliances may not.

This has nothing to do with "bare minimum". There is no point to running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to an appliance that draws 6-8 amps. A dedicated 15 would be fine.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
This has nothing to do with "bare minimum". There is no point to running a dedicated 20 amp circuit to an appliance that draws 6-8 amps. A dedicated 15 would be fine.

Please forgive me I must have misunderstood you you when you mentioned: For that matter, it could be on with the countertop 20 amp circuit and not be a problem.

peter d

Please forgive me I must have misunderstood you you when you mentioned: For that matter, it could be on with the countertop 20 amp circuit and not be a problem.

:thumbsup:

As a rule I don't put it on the counter circuit unless I know it's a really energy efficient fridge. I have seen ones now that only draw 3 amps. My standard practice is a dedicated 15 amp circuit.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I typically run a dedicated 12/2 for the fridge at the same height as the counter receptacles unless otherwise specified (sometimes layouts change). I have more options, the same amount of work but a little more money not much though. If I were bidding on an apartment complex I might rethink the 12/2 but probably not.
I typically do custom remodels so I will have three or more SABC, 12/2 to the hood in case they upgrade microwave hood etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.