20 amp AFCI tripping on load

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
OK...are there any electricians out there that AGREE with the need for arc-fault protection?

Seems to me that we all don't like it and it's being forced on us with apparently no recourse.

kwired

Electron manager
OK...are there any electricians out there that AGREE with the need for arc-fault protection?

Seems to me that we all don't like it and it's being forced on us with apparently no recourse.
For those with technical reasons involving electrical theory, probably not. There very well may be some that don't really understand much technical about them, but do see them as extra money and are just fine with that aspect as well.

I agree with what the intentions are, I don't believe they have come up with a product that meets those intentions though, and shouldn't force us to use something that doesn't meet those intentions.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
The original proposals for AFCIs said that about 40% of the dwelling unit fires that are said to be of electrical origin were caused by the fixed wiring of the dwelling unit...a number that I think is high.

I think a lot of it is misreported in terms of cause and origin. Glowing connections are the biggest culprit. Surprisingly one of the most common methods of daisy chain back stabbing is legal even though very unsafe. I have seen back stabbed devices over time repeatedly fail. Its generally a none issue for intermittent use vacuum cleaner or table lamp outlets, but those that carry heaters or all the load in a circuit are huge failure risks.

Me too. Outside of the "glowing connection" that the AFCI will not detect, I really don't think the fixed wiring causes much trouble very often. Misuse of heat producing lighting or appliances is closest thing to that issue, and AFCI really doesn't help much there either.

It has always also amused me even before AFCI came along that for decades it has been deemed NM cable is not safe for commercial use buildings, especially places of assembly, where you have many people and chances are someone will be alert enough to notify others of a fire condition if that should happen, yet it is just fine to install it in our dwellings where we sleep at night:roll:

Good point. Misuse of extension cords and space heaters next to drapes are a big one. Old wiring comes next, not so much age but it being hacked into.

For those with technical reasons involving electrical theory, probably not. There very well may be some that don't really understand much technical about them, but do see them as extra money and are just fine with that aspect as well.

I agree with what the intentions are, I don't believe they have come up with a product that meets those intentions though, and shouldn't force us to use something that doesn't meet those intentions.

I agree. Ive long thought about the practicality since AFCIs started being required everywhere and the technology is back firing. The fact now every contractor is doing code minimum home runs is enough to make me say this isnt working. I understand the theory behind it, but the arc fault concept is totally misguided. It will do little to stop the biggest cause of fires being glowing connection and come 30 years when they are the most needed the question is will the electronics still be functional. Reliable arc detection too, is none existent.

Its getting to the point that even inspectors with all the complaints are looking the other direction if someone forgets and AFCI on an old addition or service change.

Status
Not open for further replies.